Grain replacement options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot_trashko

Reaction score
I'm in China so my "local" HB Shop is about 1000 miles away and he's low on some supplies. A buddy that i brew with has a Kolsch recipe that he wants to try but we don't have Belgian Carapils or
American Wheat. We have our pale ale base malt, Vienna/Munich malt & Crystal Malt. Any suggestions for substitutes based on what we have? We're doing a 10 gallon batch that calls for 16lbs pale, 4lbs Vienna, 1lb each of Crystal, Carapils and Wheat. Thanks!

I'm in China so my "local" HB Shop is about 1000 miles away and he's low on some supplies. A buddy that i brew with has a Kolsch recipe that he wants to try but we don't have Belgian Carapils or
American Wheat. We have our pale ale base malt, Vienna/Munich malt & Crystal Malt. Any suggestions for substitutes based on what we have? We're doing a 10 gallon batch that calls for 16lbs pale, 4lbs Vienna, 1lb each of Crystal, Carapils and Wheat. Thanks!

Well, you can easily use US carapils or light crystal malt for the Belgian carapils. You can't really sub a barley grain for wheat, though. But 1 pound of wheat is so little as to be non-existant anyway!

You can do without the carapils. Mash a degree or two higher F and along with the wheat, you shouldn't notice the difference. You should get some kind of wheat in there. If you can't find the malted stuff, try to get it flaked or torrefied. In a pinch, if it's just 1lb in a 10 gallon batch, unmalted wheat could work, as it should gelatinize around 140F or so (I think, but it might be best to make sure).

GuldTuborg said:
You can do without the carapils. Mash a degree or two higher F and along with the wheat, you shouldn't notice the difference. You should get some kind of wheat in there. If you can't find the malted stuff, try to get it flaked or torrefied. In a pinch, if it's just 1lb in a 10 gallon batch, unmalted wheat could work, as it should gelatinize around 140F or so (I think, but it might be best to make sure).

Pretty sure our only option is unmalted wheat. When you say it gelatinizes around 140F are you talking mash temp? If so, does that mean we mash it separately from the rest of the grain? Recipe calls for 153F mash.

Pretty sure our only option is unmalted wheat. When you say it gelatinizes around 140F are you talking mash temp? If so, does that mean we mash it separately from the rest of the grain? Recipe calls for 153F mash.

Meaning if I'm right (search to verify at what temp wheat starch will gelitanize), you can just crush the unmalted wheat and throw it in with the mash. If you're doing a single infusion at 153, you should be fine without a cereal mash or anything else like that.

Back