grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruwsomtin

Reaction score
In the market for a grain mill and was wondering what to look for.

2 roller vs 3 roller - pros/cons

1.5" roller vs 2" roller - pros/cons

For example Monster Mill wants 350.00 for the 3m-2.0 w/SS upgrade. Is it really worth it?

I can only speak for the barley crusher when I searched around it was the best bang for the buck two roller I found. Being that it already had a hopper and base that attaches to a 5 gallon bucket, I have three batches down with it and it works as should. I hooked my 18v cordless drill to it and I double mill in about five minutes. Just my .02

everybody says their mill is the best. i have a jsp maltmill, and i can crush in similar time wih about 80% or so efficiency. find 1 in whatever your budget is, and go from there

everybody says their mill is the best. i have a jsp maltmill, and i can crush in similar time wih about 80% or so efficiency. find 1 in whatever your budget is, and go from there

Just to clarify your statement I never said the BC was the best just that I only had experience with that one and what it had to offer. ;)

In the market for a grain mill and was wondering what to look for.

2 roller vs 3 roller - pros/cons

1.5" roller vs 2" roller - pros/cons

1. IMO and IME, a 2 roller mill can produce grist every bit as good as a 3 roller mill. Any of the available home brew malt mills can produce first class grist if adjusted and operated properly.

2. The advantage of larger rollers is a narrower pinch angle. This works to grab the grain and pull it into the gap. The downside is that larger rollers require considerably more torque.

You really can't go wrong with any of the mills, but I would avoid the non-adjustable mills. Get the big expensive one if you are into bling or just want to impress the neighbors. Otherwise, spend the savings on other brewing stuff.

I am looking at the MM-2-2.0 for $244 or the MM-3-2.0 for $349

Both have the same features. The only difference is the extra roller. So are you paying $105 for a more superior mill or just bling/biggest mill on the block?

Both have the same features. The only difference is the extra roller. So are you paying $105 for a more superior mill or just bling/biggest mill on the block?

IMO, excellent grist is excellent grist and any of the commonly available home brew malt mills can produce it regardless of the number of rollers if the mill is operated and maintained properly. My point is that it's very difficult to exceed excellent. I think the MM-2-2.0 is a very good choice and the one I would buy if I were in the market for a mill.

Just to clarify your statement I never said the BC was the best just that I only had experience with that one and what it had to offer. ;)

I don't think he's singling you out. In every mill thread I've read, the owners of each has said that their mill was the best. Honestly, I think all of the mills are good.

I think the disadvantage of the 3-roller is price and I think you need more torque to run it. It just seems unnecessary and you're only paying for bragging rights/bling. People can get huge efficiency numbers from Corona mills, so it's a waste of money IMO.

I purchased a BC because it's a good value since it comes with a base, hopper, etc. I'm not very handy and didn't want to have to purchase and put together other parts.

I don't think he's singling you out. In every mill thread I've read, the owners of each has said that their mill was the best. Honestly, I think all of the mills are good.

Oh I was not feeling singled out just getting a poke in at his expense hence the wink at the end. :p

Back