grain mill option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
first time seeing those, but for what they are worth... i would stick with the proven, adjustable roller mills.. you can either do by hand, drill, or even add a motor/pulley..

plus the hopper on that thing would have u constantly refilling.

That is really pricey grain mill and even if it did work, the hopper is awfully small for the amount of grain that will be ground for even a 5 gallon batch. For that price, I would just pick up a 7 lb capacity Barley Crusher through Beersmith, which will still be cheaper than either of those with shipping.

http://beersmith.com/barley-crusher/

I researched the Kitchenaid mill a bunch and the general consensus is that it's terrible. It doesn't even do flour well, let alone barley. Probably 20% of the reviewers I read said they had returned it.

"Use it to grind any low-moisture, non-oily grain like wheat, rye, barley and corn, from cracked to extra fine with its twelve different grind levels." better hope that one of those 12 levels suits your needs. maybe if one doesn't you could double-crush. but this kitchenaid attachment is about the same price as a barley crusher - i'd go with the proven (and purpose-made) BC.

+1 for any of the roller mills. I only read about frustration using things like the Corona mill and the Kitchenaid.

If you brew very little and have extract kits sitting around and you need to crush the grains, you'd probably be fine with something like a kitchenaid. If you're thinking about using them for all grain, I can't imagine how you'd be happy with them...

That is really pricey grain mill and even if it did work, the hopper is awfully small for the amount of grain that will be ground for even a 5 gallon batch. For that price, I would just pick up a 7 lb capacity Barley Crusher through Beersmith, which will still be cheaper than either of those with shipping.

http://beersmith.com/barley-crusher/

Wow. Why didn't I know about this deal? I was just familiar with these same type of crushers from Northern Brewer or Midwest and they run a bit higher than this link. Thanks.

I have had the big Kitchen Aid (K5A) for over 35 years. It's an absolute horse in the kitchen, greatest mixer ever, and has been rebuilt once. I would in no way consider milling brewing grains with an attachment (which I don't own) hooked up to it.

The reason is that I don't believe that the motor in the KA was designed to run the length of time it would take to do 10 or 15 pounds of grist.

I use a plain old Corona mill with my 1/2" Craftsman drill to drive it. Works like a charm, for a total investment of about $25.

Back