Grain in run off halfway through sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavSenior

Reaction score
Hi there,

I always fly sparge my all grain brew. Today I noticed something odd though.

I spent 25 minutes recirculating the wort until I felt satisfied that it was 100% free from grain and then began fly sparging and transferring into my copper. All good so far.

About halfway through the sparge I took a sample of the runoff and noticed that there were a few husks and small fragments of grain in it.

Does anyone know why this might have happened?

I use a false bottom in my mash tun with 3mm holes in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If I had to guess, I'd say your pump is drawing suction on your MLT, disturbing your grain bed. The solution is to introduce a grant into your setup, and runoff the wort into the grant using gravity only, while pumping from the grant back to the MLT (during recirculation) or boil kettle (during runoff).

If I had to guess, I'd say your pump is drawing suction on your MLT, disturbing your grain bed. The solution is to introduce a grant into your setup, and runoff the wort into the grant using gravity only, while pumping from the grant back to the MLT (during recirculation) or boil kettle (during runoff).

This solved the problem! thanks

Latest posts

Back