Grain hard freezing.. still okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So the wife and I purchased our first house :ban: The new house has a brewery in the back yard :ban: Okay so some uneducated people might call it a big ass, multi-level shed and not a brewery but trust me, it's a brewery :rockin:

Here's the issue, I haven't had time to insulate or heat/cool the brewery yet. For the past week here in KS the low as been in the single digits and the high today is only supposed to be 28F.

Kansas being Kansas, this coming weekend we'll be back up to 58F but the following weekend I'm sure it will be -5 or something.

I have 100lbs of grain in that shed, in several sealed containers, is the grain in trouble?

Congrats on your brewery. Making me want one too!

Do you think the grain silos and warehouses are climate controlled?

From what I've read cold temps and freezing is fine. It's the extreme high temps (say 90+) you want to avoid for extended times. IMO dryness is most important.

I never thought of that, on the flip side though those grains aren't malted yet. Wonder if that affects things?

I'm fairly certain by the time summer hits I'll have the cooling unit (window AC unit with a temp controller built in) in place and have the brewery mostly insulated. I may have to install a dehumidifier though since our summers are typically crazy humid.

Your grains are fine. Freezing does not affect the enzymes, starches or proteins. The grain cells are dry enough, there is no water to form crystals or burst cells like what happens with fresh plant material.

Back