Grain education reference...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SemperFermentis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking for a bit now on a book that helps break down the aspects of grain in the way that "Yeast: The Practical Guide to Fermentation" and "For the Love of Hops" do for their respective categories. I have high hopes for the one on Water as well, however I have heard nothing about one focused on grain. If there is a reference to this on HBT, then I do apologize, but I'm having trouble finding anything like this. Any ideas fellas?

Malts and Malting - An excellent references on grains.
Malting and Brewing Science Volume 1 - To a lesser extent but still a good reference.

If you're looking for more of the agricultural aspects (information on the plants themselves, how deep to drill the various types of grain, how many seeds to plant per acre, etc..) then you'll need to look elsewhere (your local ag extension office can help you with this).

Last edited by a moderator:
Malts and Malting - An excellent references on grains.
Malting and Brewing Science Volume 1 - To a lesser extent but still a good reference.

If you're looking for more of the agricultural aspects (information on the plants themselves, how deep to drill the various types of grain, how many seeds to plant per acre, etc..) then you'll need to look elsewhere (your local ag extension office can help you with this).

That's great, I appreciate it. I'm not really interesting in the agricultural, more so the actual usage and such. I appreciate it. Any knowledge on some less scientific/technical publications that would focus more on just the different types of malts and the characteristics and differences? Or would you stand by these recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to suggest you click on the 'Wiki' tab up above, but I just did and it seems to be down. There is a very basic list of different malts, their SRM, steep or mash, and a few other bits of info. But apparently NOT NOW.

Back