grain crush problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
well, i live in korea and have to get supplies/ingredients shipped from the single good brewstore on the other side of the country. i stupidly forgot to specify that the grain should be crushed... i've got 5kg of uncrushed munich on my hands. i dont have any crushing tools other than a hand crank coffee grinder. what can i do? i dont want to have to ship it back, pay and wait for it. im up for hard work. any ideas?

edit: k coffee grinder sucks, i can tell it's a mix of terrible crush/lack of crush.

i might be able to get a grain/rice store to crush it. it will look like this http://i.imgur.com/izRT85n.gif , is this an acceptable option??

If you are doing biab brewing, that crush would probably be just fine. I will have to let someone else chime in on more traditional methods and dealing with stuck sparges, etc.
I remember reading someone on here, that one person was using a rolling pin to crush grain, probably a messy, slow process but if all else fails...

k cool. i think im gonna take it to the grain store. i want a good brew, but i want to brew this week. man, i feel like every time i brew in korea, one minor factor gets in the way of a perfect brew. north america was a dream to brew in.

well, i live in korea and have to get supplies/ingredients shipped from the single good brewstore on the other side of the country. i stupidly forgot to specify that the grain should be crushed... i've got 5kg of uncrushed munich on my hands. i dont have any crushing tools other than a hand crank coffee grinder. what can i do? i dont want to have to ship it back, pay and wait for it. im up for hard work. any ideas?

edit: k coffee grinder sucks, i can tell it's a mix of terrible crush/lack of crush.

i might be able to get a grain/rice store to crush it. it will look like this http://i.imgur.com/izRT85n.gif , is this an acceptable option??

That is good. All you are trying g to do is expose all those starches. When you mash in the hot water will do the rest. You can probably even get large mortar and pestel and crush it. Beer will be fine.

joselima

ok, a somewhat selfish bump, but i ended up getting milled at a local grain/rice store. it was 2 dollars to crush 5kg of munich and it was comparable to a job done at a LHBS. that was a huge relief. so if anyone in korea or japan ever has this problem... take it to yr local bang at gan

Back