Grain containers in canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Hey all, slowly switching back to BIAB from extract and PM and looking to start buying bulk in grain.

Found two of my local LHBS have great deals on the grains (40 for 25kg of 2-row, 45 for wheat and other base, 50-75 for the rest), but what I can't find are good grain containers for it.

Most 25kg(55lb)+ containers are looking at 60$+s/h.

Does anyone know do of good yet affordable options here in Canada (BC specifically)? Otherwise I'll probably go the Homer bucket route after checking out some feed stores.

I just got a couple of steel garbage bins. Works great!
Home Hardware or Canadian Tire has them.

I just got a couple of steel garbage bins. Works great!
Home Hardware or Canadian Tire has them.

Already have what I got in 5gal pails, but the garbage bin sounds plausible. Do you line it with a bag? And how do you keep it fully fully sealed? (Share my yard with bears, cougars, coyotes, rats and others)

Already have what I got in 5gal pails, but the garbage bin sounds plausible. Do you line it with a bag? And how do you keep it fully fully sealed? (Share my yard with bears, cougars, coyotes, rats and others)
I would say to line it with a bag, then put the bags of grain into it. As far as sealing, I would say to keep it inside - that'll keep critters off it - at least the big ones. Little bugs are tougher, obviously.

I guess it all depends how much you want to store. I bought 50lb sacks and could easily get one and maybe two in a 40gal or so plastic trash can that cost $10. The plastic drum liners were the trick. I think they are 6mil. Quite study and you can tie them off to make a nice airtight seal and use them probably forever. I rotated stock by having two liners in each can. The older stuff sat on top of the newer in a separate bag.

Sorry for the delay.
I store these inside and being metal the small critters can't chew a hole in them like they did to my plastic ones.

I use 21 gallon rubbermaid totes from Home Depot. I had a bunch from moving. They can fit 2 sacks per tote. I use them for my big bunchs.
I have a bunch of these actually, but didn't think they would be "airtight enough" for storing grains. And issues with long termish storing (like a few months)

Sorry for the delay.
I store these inside and being metal the small critters can't chew a hole in them like they did to my plastic ones.

Awesome thanks!
+1 I love my vittles vaults.
Yeah I looked at those and drooled but sadly the bank balance can't afford it in the least bit. Having to do a good amount of saving for a mill and set up, which probably won't be until after summer anyways.

Back