Govt Shutdown and Craft Beer Industry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
A friend's daughter decided to do some HS research project on the effect of the govt shutdown on the craft beer industry. I expect her to contact me about it, so...

I know breweries cannot get new labels approved right now, but are there other effects that you-all know about?

Lets see how long this can last without someone chiming in with their political view...3..2...missed it....in before the move

If you use a search engine you/she will find all kinds of stories about how labels can not be approved for interstate shipment, and a whole bunch more. I did a search and saw that the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau-of the US Department of Treasury) will not be approving permits for certain operators (to include breweries) to start new business. I'd refer her to www.ttb.gov, which has a 'warning' page when you first go to it stating that there will be no new business until appropriations are...well, appropriated :)

A friend's daughter decided to do some HS research project on the effect of the govt shutdown on the craft beer industry. I expect her to contact me about it, so...

I know breweries cannot get new labels approved right now, but are there other effects that you-all know about?

I submitted my brewery application to the TTB and won't be getting an approval anytime soon. Kinda sucks when you have a signed lease as well as construction started. So there's that.

I submitted my brewery application to the TTB and won't be getting an approval anytime soon. Kinda sucks when you have a signed lease as well as construction started. So there's that.

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully they get it together sooner rather than later. Best of luck when it does get back going!

As if it wasn't hard enough or expensive enough already. Sorry to hear about this affecting your dream. Hopefully it'll be resolved in one way or another soon. I live right outside of D.C. and I can say that a lot of folks here are being affected by the shutdown.

Back