Got my water report back need help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docon86

Reaction score
So I just got my water report back. Bicarbonate seems extremely high.. is there anything I can do to lower it? Or should I just buy RO water in jugs. Thank you in advance

Screenshot_20200507-203034_Drive.jpg

Woof. It'd take lots of acid to knock that alkalinity down, but then you'd still be left with rather high sodium content.
How much do you brew in a year? In my case it made sense to invest $200 in a Reverse Osmosis system...

Cheers!

The good news is, you don't have to buy fancy Perrier water as you already have that coming out of your taps. ;)
The bad news is, this is really bad water to brew since you have high alkalinity with hardly any hardness (i.e. calcium and magnesium) to counter its effects. To drop residual alkalinity to acceptable levels you'd need really massive salt additions. RO water, either store-bought or self-produced is probably your best option under the circumstances.

Thanks for the quick response. I actually have RO that I hooked up to the kitchen sink already for our drinking water. Stoped brewing couple years ago since I really didn't have much time after the kids where born (twins) but now i started brewing again and that's when I finally decided to get the water report done to try and up my homebrew game

Woof. It'd take lots of acid to knock that alkalinity down, but then you'd still be left with rather high sodium content.
How much do you brew in a year? In my case it made sense to invest $200 in a Reverse Osmosis system...

Cheers!

The good news is, you don't have to buy fancy Perrier water as you already have that coming out of your taps. ;)
The bad news is, this is really bad water to brew since you have high alkalinity with hardly any hardness (i.e. calcium and magnesium) to counter its effects. To drop residual alkalinity to acceptable levels you'd need really massive salt additions. RO water, either store-bought or self-produced is probably your best option under the circumstances.

No wonder why I don't like Perrier haha.. good thing I have my own RO system plus there is a Walmart down the street that has the Primo refill station and its like .32 cents a gallon.. only downside to my RO is the little tank it has now

Last edited:
Lots of folks pick up large water totes (eg: Aquatainers) to fill from their small RO systems.
Also, I recommend anyone using RO obtained from a fill station invest in an inexpensive (like $5) tds meter to avoid surprises...

Cheers!

Back