Gose critique, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
I put this in the lambic/sour section and it didn't get much traffic, so I figure I'll try here. :)

All Grain
4.5lbs white wheat
4.0lbs of German Pilsner
0.75lb of flaked barley
15g of Sea Salt (10 min)
20g of fresh ground coriander (10 min)
0.5oz Sorachi Ace (20 min)
0.5oz Sorachi Ace (flame out or dry hop)
Wyeast 3068
Lacto starter

The plan is to mash at 152. (Will this kill the wild bugs?). Next allow to cool to 100F, and then pitch the lacto. Give this several days to sour at 100F, then do the primary boil with the rest of the ingredients outlined above. Pitch the yeast at and maintain temp at 65F. Finally bottle condition when finished. Any thoughts? This will be my first beer. I've done several wines and a couple of meads, but beer is a different animal. Thoughts, advise, and/or critique of the recipe is welcome!

Will I need rice hulls?

Looks good - I would remove the late hop addition and toss in all hops at the beginning of the boil. Perhaps add 1/2 pound of rice hulls to prevent clogging during the sparge.

Thanks! I'll get the rice hulls today. I went with the late hop addition because the style is low IBU, like <20. If I added at 60 min it'd be like 50IBU. this brings me in at 15. Also the Sorachi Ace is supposed to offer a lemon/grapefruit flavor when added as a late addition which is what I'm going for. (I know it's sacrilege, but I'm not a huge fan of bitter flavor .)

Back