good universal fermentation time for ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
Since I started fermenting in sealed stainless fermenters I can't see my fermentation well. I am also a slacker and I don't want the hassle of drawing gravity samples at least 2 times to verify fermentation is finished. So I am thinking about just fermenting everything a "long time" so that I can just rack it to the keg on schedule and not worry about measuring. What would be a safe amount of time for APAs, IPAs and English pale ale? 1 month? 3 weeks? 2 weeks? I ferment at 18C and usually use S-04 or S-05.

I usually let me APAs and IPAs go for about 3 weeks. Thats just average though, Ive let them go for less time or much longer. But 3 weeks is my go to. And Im usually using WLP001, 007, or 090

I've been done in less than 10 days for the few beers that I've done

I think 30 days would be a good safe number. Worse case, you get a little aging in before keg/bottle.

Since I started fermenting in sealed stainless fermenters I can't see my fermentation well. I am also a slacker and I don't want the hassle of drawing gravity samples at least 2 times to verify fermentation is finished. So I am thinking about just fermenting everything a "long time" so that I can just rack it to the keg on schedule and not worry about measuring. What would be a safe amount of time for APAs, IPAs and English pale ale? 1 month? 3 weeks? 2 weeks? I ferment at 18C and usually use S-04 or S-05.

At 18C, S04 would generally finish in as little as 3 days, depending on the OG, but maybe as long as 5 days for a "bigger" beer. It clears shortly after finishing, so you can tell at a glance if it's done and clear, certainly by 10 days.

At 18C, S05 is probably a little bit slower, probably 5-7 days to finish active fermentation. It takes forever to clear, so clarity isn't a good indicator for this strain for when it's actually done. Certainly by day 14 it would be done.

At 18C, S04 would generally finish in as little as 3 days, depending on the OG, but maybe as long as 5 days for a "bigger" beer. It clears shortly after finishing, so you can tell at a glance if it's done and clear, certainly by 10 days.

At 18C, S05 is probably a little bit slower, probably 5-7 days to finish active fermentation. It takes forever to clear, so clarity isn't a good indicator for this strain for when it's actually done. Certainly by day 14 it would be done.

I can’t see the beer, though. I'm fermenting in kegs in a freezer now.

I ferment in buckets so like U I can't see what's going on. I don't care....I let my ales all go 3-4 weeks w/out checking. Pale ales maybe 3 weeks, dark 4 weeks. Then I bottle. I have my pipeline full and am in no rush. I often cold crash ALL my ales for a week as well.

I also use stainless to ferment in too - sanke kegs to be exact - and don't want to bother with the gravity checks either. I typically let them sit for about 3 weeks give or take a few days depending on my schedule. I cold crash for at least 3 days every time too. :mug:

As long as you aerate and pitch properly, 2 weeks should be more than sufficient. In your case, I would start raising the temp slowly on day 3, and reach 21C on day 6, let it ride a few more days just to finish cleaning up, and you should be alright.

I say this because I like to start raising the temp when the krausen starts to fall, which usually happens around day 3-4 (English tends to drop early while American tends do drop later). I start out a bit lower though @ 60-62F

I usually go 3 weeks. If I add any fermentables to secondary I let it go at least another 2 weeks after the addition. And for S-04 2 weeks has been plenty, but I prefer to go 3 anyway just to let things clean up.

Generally 14 days is long enough for everything to finish up then an extra 5 days for dry hopping if desired.

however i just did a scotch ale on 6 weeks ferment.
I can do Low abv English bitters in 7 days also
So i would say it all depends on what style you're fermenting. Although if you're lazy and don't care about dialing in specifics just do 3-4 weeks on everything. :D

I'm usually drinking my beer 4 weeks after brewing it. A week for fermentation, a week for dry hopping, a week of cold crashing and then a week carbing in the keg.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

I also do 3 weeks usually. When I bottled I could do less, as the beer would 'secondary' in the bottle. Now that I keg though, if I keg sooner than 3 weeks the beer tastes green for a LONG time

My typical APA/IPA with S-05 schedule
2 week in primary
1 week dry hop (in primary)
3-5 days crashing cooling, fining, carbonating in the keg.

My experience indicates that S-05 tends to be a medium flocculator. I usually short cut the process by fining with gelatin in the keg after a 24 hour cool down period. So, keg and cool for 24 hours, add gelatin turn gas on 30psi, turn gas off after 36 hours (don't release co2), pull a pint at 48 hours, dump the "mud", and pour a pint to drink and add more co2 if needed in 12 hours @ 30 psi increments (use your judgement).

Most of mine have been sub 1.070, so I generally keg around 14 days.

9 day initial ferment, 5 day dry hop.

Back