Good software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I have read through the 7-8 year old software thread a few times now and I am still up in the air about what to do here.

Some years back I was using the paid version of Strangebrew and had it on my desktop and laptop. I liked the software but both systems have been replaced and database lost.

I know this is like asking what's the best tires to use on my ST-1300 but I am going to give it a shot anyway.

What's the best software for homebrew use?

Will run on my android tablet? or for that matter can I use something on a few devices and maintain the database on all of them, i.e. android tablet, android phone, gen 1 ipad... ect...

Haven't been using any software for a few years because the ones I tried after Strangebrew were overly complicated or I needed to input all the stuff to be able to use it. Maybe i'm lazy but I don't want to spend hours setting up some software to use on brew day.

I use Beersmith but I wish it did a better job of cross-platform syncing without the need to pay more to store all recipes on the cloud and without me having to tell it to sync.

I generally use Beersmith. I still have issues which I attribute to not brewing all that often and from constantly changing/upgrading my system. I am sure that with enough constant use I could find the inconsistencies and make it work slick as all get out.

I've also checked out Brewers Friend and I like it a lot. There were some minor issues that frankly prevented me from wanting to use it all the time, but the developer had said he was working on tweaks to straighten those things out. It may be time to go back and re-evaluate it.

In any case, each of them are free to try I think. That will give you a way to get your hands dirty and see which one you think you will like.

I use Beersmith but I wish it did a better job of cross-platform syncing without the need to pay more to store all recipes on the cloud and without me having to tell it to sync.

There is somewhat of a work around for that. I use Dropbox and changed my Beersmith document location to it. Dropbox syncs across all of my platforms so no mateer which one I open Beersmith on, all my info is there....of course this only really applies to desktop systems since the mobile apps don't offer an alternative document location.

There is somewhat of a work around for that. I use Dropbox and changed my Beersmith document location to it. Dropbox syncs across all of my platforms so no mateer which one I open Beersmith on, all my info is there....of course this only really applies to desktop systems since the mobile apps don't offer an alternative document location.

I did not know this. Obviously most useful if it was allowed on my iPad, but great for my two desktops.
Thank you

No need to pay to have all recipes on your mobile device. Simply copy them to 'My Recipes' and they're stored permanently on your mobile device. You can do these 15 recipes at a time for free on the cloud, copy them all over to 'My Recipes', and then put up a new 15 to copy over. Rinse and repeat.

To copy to 'My Recipes' on a mobile device:
-Open one of your cloud recipes on your device
-Touch the 'Copy' button
-Done.

I've had a good experience with Brewtarget. It's free, open source software. I wish it took mash temp into consideration when estimating FG, but other than that I'm happy with it.

Brewtoad does a decently good job, and there is a big library of recipes (though not nearly as many that are tested)

I've had a good experience with Brewtarget. It's free, open source software. I wish it took mash temp into consideration when estimating FG, but other than that I'm happy with it.

If you can find the math to explain the relationship and I can actually understand it well enough to implement, I would be happy to look into it.

Just as a warning. The second is likely going to take longer :)

Mik

If you can find the math to explain the relationship and I can actually understand it well enough to implement, I would be happy to look into it.

Just as a warning. The second is likely going to take longer :)

Mik

I'm not sure about that... The first may not be very fast either ;) But I'll try.

Back