Good low budget dry hopper...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
I just wanted to share an alternative solution I came up with for dry hopping after seeing the crazy prices they are being sold for... others might have thought of this already but i'd figure I'd share anyway for those who havent.

I bought a bazooka tube like this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191766311273

and then used a 1/2" stainless cap like this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Cap-Fem...365513?hash=item3f332a8a09:g:V2cAAOxy4eJTOjB1

To cap it once filled with hops or orange peels , vanilla beans or other fermentation or keg additives...
Total cost is about $10 which is great because I have a lot of kegs and fermenters to fill :)

Works well for a lot less than $25-50 that they usually sell for. They do fit fine in better bottles too and possibly glass carboys.

IMG_20160112_180641537[1].jpg

IMG_20160112_180624599[1].jpg

:D I dry hop in the same bucket I ferment in, so my approach may be different than yours. I splurged for the 2 for $2.50 one gallon paint strainer bags. I've re-used the same bag a number of times. I could of saved a little if I could have found a single bag instead of a 2-pack, but I'm low budget, not cheap.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_126392-968-11581/12FF_0__?productId=1008385

:D I dry hop in the same bucket I ferment in, so my approach may be different than yours. I splurged for the 2 for $2.50 one gallon paint strainer bags. I've re-used the same bag a number of times. I could of saved a little if I could have found a single bag instead of a 2-pack, but I'm low budget, not cheap.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_126392-968-11581/12FF_0__?productId=1008385
Yes that is a good alternative (I have those too) but not when using conical fermenters like I do... they end up at the bottom buried in dead yeast and plugging the drain in no time...

Yes that is a good alternative but not when using conical fermenters like I do... they end up at the bottom buried in dead yeast and plugging the drain in no time...

Tie string/floss around it and run it out and under the lid to secure it from dropping to the bottom.

Just a caution, I used one of the stainless braid tubes and possibly overfilled it with pellet hops. When the hops swelled with wort, the results were like hop concrete in the tube. It was a challenge to dig the hops out with a sharp screwdriver. Sold it and now opt for using fabric. JME

Just a caution, I used one of the stainless braid tubes and possibly overfilled it with pellet hops. When the hops swelled with wort, the results were like hop concrete in the tube. It was a challenge to dig the hops out with a sharp screwdriver. Sold it and now opt for using fabric. JME

....you're just trying to see your own product...:D
Seriously though, you definitely want to use something with a lot of extra space. It is amazing how much pellet hops swell in liquid, I would second the bag solution.

The Hop swelling is an issue. I use the paint strainer bags with a shot glass for weight and SS wire to keep them suspended off the bottom. I wash all in the dishwasher then boil all the day before brewing. A quick spry with StarSan before it goes in the fermentor

I'd be very weary of putting that in a plastic better bottle. I'd also be weary of putting "a couple ounces" in there as you will get very little utilization. Bags are the way to go in the keg and IMHO just toss them in the primary for the best utilization.

Cheers!

1 - That mesh is not NEARLY fine enough for pellet hops. Almost all of it will leak out except for the largest particles

2 - that could barely hold a single ounce of hops

I'd be very weary of putting that in a plastic better bottle. I'd also be weary of putting "a couple ounces" in there as you will get very little utilization. Bags are the way to go in the keg and IMHO just toss them in the primary for the best utilization.

Cheers!

I guess you missed where I pointed out that wont work with my conicals. The bag drops and plugs my yeast dump valve.

1 - That mesh is not NEARLY fine enough for pellet hops. Almost all of it will leak out except for the largest particles

2 - that could barely hold a single ounce of hops

Thanks for the helpful criticism.
Your right about the mesh much of it would go through if knocked around . I guess I will have an excuse to use the paint strainers afterall..I can put them around the bazooka tube and it will still prevent it from forming a stopper and my drain from plugging if I drop it in correctly.. It likely wont hold 2 oz either now that I remember back to the days when I used bags in my boil kettle and remember how much swelling there is.. I was thinking more recently of how much is left in my hop basket after I drain the kettle and its mostly compacted and boiled down I believe at that point.

Honestly since I'm not a big fan of ipa's I havent done any dry hopping yet but I do use things like orange zest and peels, cocoa nibs and vanilla beans in the fermenter so that was really my main priority at this point.

I do have one of these too I can always try with hops if I need to...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281846634100?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am leery of the grade of stainless used though and have to test for rusting.

Tie a string around the bag and let it float in the conical, that should reduce the chance of plugging your valve (if you know what I mean :D).

Back