Good 30 day cider yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lushcider

Reaction score
I'd like to get my second fermentation down to 30 days. Are there good yeast that can do this with UV Pasteurized fresh cider?

I'd like to bottle and make available to drink. My understanding is that the cider will taste better with age. Can you make cider drinkable and good after a 30 day 2nd fermentation?

The 5 day cider is, well, interesting. Kinda like an apple version of Fedderweisser.

You can get a solid, drinkable cider in what I would call 'beer time frame' so long as you remember a few things:

1) low ABV. Under 7 for sure, better under 6.
2) fewer simple sugar adjuncts. Brandon O's Graff is great in 5 weeks bc he uses DME. I've had good luck boosting ABV with AJ concentrate.
3) acid levels: add acid blend to taste at bottling. Fermented store juice tastes flabby without it.
4) use a good yeast, and enough of it. I like a clean attenuating ale yeast (safeale 04,05, notty, Windsor), and I pitch the whole pack.

I don't like to backsweeten, but I will say that back sweetened cider matures quicker. If you like it sweet, sweeten to taste at bottling (3 weeks or so) then pasteurize per sticky at top of forum.

:mug:

+1 Unferth. Might I add look for a yeast that has a high flocculation rating. For a while there, I had a yeast cake that would ferment a gallon dry in a week and go crystal clear after a week in secondary.

Latest posts

Back