Golden Strong, spicy citrus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitbull-brewer

Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well. I just finished off my Belgian Golden Strong Ale I made in the fall. It turned out great, thanks to helps of yall on the forum. I had basic recipe with pale two row, belgian golden ale yeast and cech saaz. I got my og low after a weeks ferment then added sugar to up the octane. I tried to keep track of the development of the taste of the beer over the months and I realized I rather enjoyed the taste of my young BGS with the esters still strong. I am planning another and hoping to see what you guys think of the ideas. I am looking to get a slight citrus with my hops but I dont want it to overtake the crispness of the pale two row. I was thinking of combining Saaz with Centennial. The other idea was to combine a more spicy hop with a one with citrus overtones as an experiment, just to see what happens and how combining something like cascade with challenger would be like. I am only in my first year of brewing so I am still new to this but I have found that while I like the normal style based beers I have brewed; the anticipation of one of my experimental brews makes the process all the more fun. Hope to hear from yall soon.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP570
Yeast Starter: i didn't but you can
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.007
IBU: 32
Boiling Time (Minutes):90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 weeks

10lbs Pale 2-row, 3 lbs cane sugar
2 oz Cech Saaz
Add .75lbs Cane sugar after OG drops to around 1.015 about a week
Mash at 159, 90 min rest,
Fermenting- fermentation should start at 64 and be slowly raised up to 75. I had good fruity easters keeping it at around 68 the whole time. but the book recipe called for the previous instructions.

Interesting recipe! Simple, but different. High mash temp, multiple additions of cane sugar. Hmm! I may have to try this.

Mash at 159, 90 min rest,

Is this a typo? I have a hard time believing you got this down to 1.007 (even with all that sugar) mashing at 159. Do you mean 149?

In regards to your spicy citrus question, I would be cautious when adding hops to this recipe that you already enjoy. They will quickly overwhelm those lovely yeast esters. I tried a hoppy saison a while back and it was too bitter even though it only calc'ed to 27 IBU. I am thinking that the combination of the low FG (1.006) and the late addition hops, I was perceiving much more bitterness than expected. Once it aged a bit and the hops faded, it was very nice, but I am thinking it would have been better with those young esters without all the hops to get in the way.

Instead of hops, maybe consider some citrus zest and/or peel at flameout or as a dry-"hop"? Orange or grapefruit might work well.

Back