Going to use some harvested, washed yeast for 1st time, ques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes to both. The best process would be to make a starter. Many have success just pitching slurry. I poured about 5oz of month old WLP530 into 2.5 gallons of 1.059 wort yesterday, it took off in a few hours. I let it rise to room temperature first, of course.

If it was me and the yeast is 4 weeks old I would pitch 2 jars and if the yeast is 8 weeks old I would just pitch it all. But I don't do starters yet I haven't seen the need in my situations . I am sure that starters are needed in many situations but I haven't needed to yet!

If it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Make a starter from one jar - pour off most of the beer, swirl it all up, then use that to make your starter.

Look at how little yeast is in a white labs vial/pouch.

It is much easier to just overbuild starters and save some of that for recycling the yeast than it is to wash/harvest from a yeast cake (especially if you used hops).

Latest posts

Back