GoFerm Technical Question for 1 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalopy19

Reaction score
This afternoon I started the following one gallon batch of orange blossom mead (which I may later add raspberries and/or oak):

3 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
Walmart "Spring" water
Dry Lavin 71B-1122 5g packet
GoFerm Nutrient 6.25g
SNA: (1/4 tsp DAP/Urea + 1/4 Tsp Fermaid K)
-------------at 24 hours; at 3 days; at 7 days

I followed the GoFerm instructions and added 1.25g GoFerm per 1g dry yeast in 20x the weight of water (about 125mL).

Clearly a lot of people use the standard 5g dry yeast packet in a five gallon batch of mead.

Am I, therefore, adding way too much GoFerm into my 1 gallon batch? I like the idea of a large starter culture to ferment quickly/cleanly, but I don't know if 6.25g/gallon is correct. Thoughts?

The general recommendation is 1-2g/gallon yeast. Should I split my 5g packet with less GoFerm, or keep doing what I have been doing? None of the batches I've tried it with are done yet, so that's the tricky part.

This is confusing to me for some reason. I'll lay out my thinking and please let me know if/where I'm going wrong.

5g packet of yeast X 1.25=6.25g GoFerm then dissolve in 20X the weight of the GoFerm in water. per: http://www.scottlab.com/product-102.aspx

That would that make 20X6.25 = 125g water. 1g water = 1mL water so 6.25g in 125ml?

Your math seems ok, what part is messing you up? If we are going to make a single gallon of something I just use the whole pack of yeast and the Goferm as per instructions and dump it into the gallon. Some people try to save the dry yeast but since it starts to loose viablity as soon as you open it that never seemed worth the effort. You could always just add 20% of the final mix to your gallon if the final volume thing is concerning you, or cut back a little on the nutrients you are adding to your must later. WVMJ

This is confusing to me for some reason. I'll lay out my thinking and please let me know if/where I'm going wrong.

5g packet of yeast X 1.25=6.25g GoFerm then dissolve in 20X the weight of the GoFerm in water. per: http://www.scottlab.com/product-102.aspx

That would that make 20X6.25 = 125g water. 1g water = 1mL water so 6.25g in 125ml?

I suppose my primary worry is that I am putting in way too much GoFerm into my one gallon (6.25g per 5g yeast vs. what would be 2.5g for 2g yeast).

For the batches I did with 6.25 grams I left out one of my 1 gram addition of Fermaid/DAP.

In the future I think I'm going to add the whole 5g packet, but just use 2.5g GoFerm with 50mL water. My understanding is that concentration is important as you are trying to force nutrients into the yeast via osmosis.

You worry to much:) 50 ml of water will cool down so fast you are going to loose part of the equation of rehydrating your yeast. WVMJ

Back