Gluing Foam Paneling w/ Liquid Nails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkswing

Reaction score
I'm finishing up my keezer collar, which I constructed out of 1" pine. I decided to clear coat (polyurethane) the pine on all sides (vs painting). To conserve more energy, I wanted to insulate the collar. I was looking for the "blue board" polystyrene, but I couldn't fit the 4x8' board in my car to take home. The next best thing I found was pre-cut foam paneling for insulating framing.

Link:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_15350-23946...anel&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=foam+panel

This is the crumbly-type styrofoam similar to packing material (like for a computer).

Question: I glued the foam to the collar with Liquid Nails Heavy Duty. 2 of the 4 panels bonded perfectly to the wood. But the other 2 basically dissolved where the LN was touching it, just smelling bad and not adhering.

Pic:
http://jonflash.myweb.uga.edu/images/hbt/keezer_foam.jpg
-foam on left and right is fine, the top and bottom pieces are shown in the middle....the foam has dissolved where the LN was.

Anybody know why half the panels glued fine, while the others were destroyed? I know that LN makes a product for bonding foam, and that the heavy duty stuff isn't supposed to work, but why did it work for 2/4?

funk

I'm actually surprised any of it stuck. You need to get the pink or blue board, it won't flake off in your keezer.

Does that pink/blue board only come in the 4x8' sheets that I see at HD/Lowes? Like I said, it was my car that was the limiting factor. Unless they could cut it into pieces for me there........

Yes, I do not recommend this type of foam (the white styrofoam), mostly due to all the damn little pieces everywhere from trying to cut it.

you need to know your dimensions of the blue board that you want, and cut it up at the car! The white styrofoam will crumble and make a mess even after install.

Cutting the blue foam (polystyrene) board is easy - like cutting drywall. Cut a line down with a razor knife and then snap it.

At lowes go to the aisle with blown insulation - often they have sheets there precut for garage door panels.
Also - you should actually buy the specific adhesive meant for blue board - it does work much better than liquid nails.

pl_ca_300_voc.png

brrman - thanks man. I will check again for the pre-cut stuff, but I guess I will bring along the razor blade and some boards to snap it. Another reason why I should own a truck........

At least that crap styrofoam rips out easily! Anybody need some packing materials?

Latest posts

Back