Glass O' Bacon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter

Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OMG!!! I just had my first rauch bier experience. A couple of friends and I did the Anchor Steam brewery tour today, great tour with generous samples at the end. Afterwards, we decided to grab lunch at the Monk's Kettle. I had a pulled pork sandwich and decided to go with the suggested accompaniment, a rauch. I'd heard of the style, but never really had the chance to try it. I was initially leaning towards an imperial IPA, as a few people in the group went for Pliny the Elder. Boy am I glad I decided to take the plunge. That was great!!! Sorry, I gush, but, what a beer!!!! :rockin:

I agree Pliny is a always good, but the rauch I had instead had a smokey quality that reminded me of good bacon, especially when combined with that pulled pork, just a flavor I'd never experienced in a beer until today.

I love Rauchbier, and the Aecht Schenklera is the benchmark for the style in my opinion.

Good on ya for going against the grain. ;)

Here's a nice website: Beer specialty: Schlenkerla smoked beer - Description and background

I need try this instead of coffee in the morning!!!!!!

The connoisseur drinks it slowly with relish, but steadily and purposefully. He knows, that the second "Seidla" (half-liter) tastes better than the first, and the third even better than the second. He drinks during the morning pint and during the afternoon break. He drinks it in the evenings, drinks it alone and with company, especially with company, as "Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier" makes one talkative and exuberant. It brings together the local with the stranger, as it is common in Franconia to share your table with others.
Even if the brew tastes somewhat strange at the first swallow, do not stop, because soon you will realize that your thirst will not decrease and your pleasure will visibly increase.

I bet.....:D

Schlenkerla Urbock was awesome... depending on what you smoke the malt with, you can get different flavors. Smoke with hickory and I bet you'll get a pure bacon flavor. That sounds like fun. My father in law has a smoker, hmm...

I'll have to try one before I can say I don't like it but I am going to go with no, don't like the idea of drinking a beer that tastes or smells like bacon. No real desire to mix those flavors and don't want a beer that tastes like a cup of coffee or an Italian hoagie either even though do I enjoy both.

Back