Glass carboy vs. plastic bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use all glass carboys only for my lagers, just mainly because the temps stay cooler in them. Ales I use pails and do a secondary transfer, especially if I'm adding gelatin for clarification. I think a lot is just preference really, its pretty hard to screw up beer.

I used glass for many years and just switched to buckets about a year ago. I had seen/read too many horror stories about glass and I've had a few close calls of my own, so I switched to buckets. I really like buckets a lot more, they are easier to move around and to clean.

I have a two 6.5 gal glass carboys, a 6.5 gal bucket, a 5 gal glass carboy, a 5 gal Better Bottle and a couple plastic 5 gal buckets. After using them all I tend to just grab whichever one is available. I like the fact that the buckets have handles so they are a lot easier (and safer to lift), especially when moving them into and out of my freezer/fermenter. But if using the glass carboys I've got a carboy carrier and it helps a lot.

I secondary almost everything. I like to get the beer off of the trub after a couple of weeks. From my experience I end up with clearer beer with a lot less junk in the bottom of the bottles. Have never had a problem with infection and the beer always turns out good (if I executed the recipe correctly).

For cleaning, I think the buckets are easier but the glass carboys aren't all that hard. Like an earlier post suggested, fill it part way with warm water, add your cleaner and let it soak an hour or so. I use a carboy brush. If I do this right after the beer has been drained they are never very hard to clean up. Always sanitize before use, regardless how well they were cleaned when put up for storage.

All that all being said, I do think I am going to shift to buckets or Spiedel fermenters over time simply because of my age. I'd hate to have a glass carboy to blame for loosing my ability to swing a golf club!

I've used glass, bucket and BB. They all serve a different purpose. I've always used the train of thought that if I'm going to add anything to the beer i.e. fruit, wood chips etc... then I'll primary or rack to the bucket before adding. Have you ever tried to clean a lot of fruit from a carboy? If I'm not adding anything and it's a straight up brew I'll use a 6.5 gal for primary and a 5 gal for secondary if I'm dry hopping. I use the BB if I get together with friends and brew off site. It's just easier to manage and less worry than glass when traveling. So i guess I'm saying use whichever vessel seems to suit your needs the best.

Hey guys, I'm a noob that just ordered a couple extract kits with specialty grains. I've made lots of wine but am still a bit unclear on a few issues. I have 8 gallon primary fermentors that I was planning on using for a 5 gallon kit. The question I have is,y fermentor has a lid but doesant have an airlock port or airlock for it. Is this acceptable? Will I need a air tight seal in the primary? Or should I just use a carboy? I would prefer to do a two stage fermentation as I heard it makes for a higher quality beer. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm a noob that just ordered a couple extract kits with specialty grains. I've made lots of wine but am still a bit unclear on a few issues. I have 8 gallon primary fermentors that I was planning on using for a 5 gallon kit. The question I have is,y fermentor has a lid but doesant have an airlock port or airlock for it. Is this acceptable? Will I need a air tight seal in the primary? Or should I just use a carboy? I would prefer to do a two stage fermentation as I heard it makes for a higher quality beer. Thanks in advance.

If you are going to seal the bucket lid, then you will need to drill a hole in the lid and insert a bung/airlock. A sealed vessel without an airlock = boom.

Alternatively, you can just put the lid on top of the bucket loosely and not seal it. This will allow pressure to escape.

An air tight seal is not necessary, but it helps ensure that no contaminants find their way into your fermenting beer. The key is to, at the very least, have it covered so no airborne contaminants can "fall in".

Using a secondary vessel is a hotly debated topic around here. There are pros and cons for either method. I've tried both methods extensively, and now I just skip the secondary vessel altogether in favor of an extended primary. I've made good beer both ways though.

Thanks hunter, I guess I'm concerned with oxidation after the rigorous fermentation has subsided. So the lid prevents contamination to begin with and after the fermentation slows keeps a blanket of co2 to prevent oxidation from happening? I'm thinking I may just order a brew bucket

Thanks hunter, I guess I'm concerned with oxidation after the rigorous fermentation has subsided. So the lid prevents contamination to begin with and after the fermentation slows keeps a blanket of co2 to prevent oxidation from happening? I'm thinking I may just order a brew bucket

Correct, assuming the bucket is not disturbed too much, the CO2 in the bucket will protect the beer even after fermentation, and the lid can help keep it in.

It's pretty easy to modify regular buckets, but if you don't have the tools, brew buckets aren't exactly expensive, and as long as you take care of them they can be used dozens of times.

There is a full days worth of reading here with views on both sides of this topic. Up until now, I have mostly used a 6.5 gal bucket for primary, to end up with 5 full gallons to bottle. If you are you not shooting for 5 gallons of beer, I would use the carboy like you did.
I just picked up a 6.5 glass carboy today, so I can keep an eye on things during fermentation and get more than my 5 gallon carboy can produce. :mug:

I use 6 1/2 gallon glass carboys for primary and if I do secondary its for long periods of time or for dry hopping. I do secondary in kegs so I can purge the oxygen out of it with CO2, This really seemed to help me IPA's taste fresher. I also like that I don't have to worry about infection as much as you do when using the plastic carboys and buckets. I realize with proper care that's a non factor with plastic, I just like the reassurance I guess.

The 6 1/2 gallon carboy is a little tougher to move around, but that's the only real downside I can see to it. If you like to add fruit to the secondary that can be another downside. I use a stainless dry hopper in the keg and it will hold a lot of whatever you put into it. I have used 3 ounces of fresh whole hops, two ounces of oak cubes, and it will hold more pellet hops than you will ever need.

With a long secondary you have the issue with oxygenation of the beer. This is why I don't use glass or plastic for a long secondary. Like I said earlier I can purge the oxygen out of the keg with the CO2 and the beer benefits. It does suck to have a keg or two tied up for an extended period of time, but it sucks worse to wait for months to have a good instead of great beer. I'm not saying a beer will be bad if it sits in a carboy or bucket for months, I'm just saying I think I get a fresher more flavourful beer when using the keg.

I have never had a problem cleaning my carboy. I use a cleaner I bought at my LHBS, it's just a stainless rod that has two wool flaps on the end. The flaps are about 8 inches long by 2 inches wide. I hook it up to a drill and it gets the gunk off in no time. Does anybody else use this?

To recap everything, I don't think it really matters which you choose. It boils down to personal preference. I don't think either affects taste during primary, or secondary for that matter. The only benefit I like is being able to purge the oxygen in the kegs for secondary. My preference is glass.

i say 2 glass carboys is the way to go. just transfer from glass to glass and you don't get the plastic taste from beer sitting in a bucket for a few weeks. the most a 5 gal carboy can weigh is 40 pounds which is not that heavy, at all. a bag of concrete is at least 60 lbs but more often 80lbs. you move the carboy maybe 4 times and for the quality you get w glass over plastic bucket, there's no comparison. the only thing i don't like to do is trying to get that flow from the transfer. it is much easier to open the spigot and start flow rather than trying to siphon, no pain, no gain. deal w/ the siphon and get better taste on the back end.

i say 2 glass carboys is the way to go. just transfer from glass to glass and you don't get the plastic taste from beer sitting in a bucket for a few weeks. the most a 5 gal carboy can weigh is 40 pounds which is not that heavy, at all. a bag of concrete is at least 60 lbs but more often 80lbs. you move the carboy maybe 4 times and for the quality you get w glass over plastic bucket, there's no comparison. the only thing i don't like to do is trying to get that flow from the transfer. it is much easier to open the spigot and start flow rather than trying to siphon, no pain, no gain. deal w/ the siphon and get better taste on the back end.

what plastic taste?

I agree. :drunk:

IMHO
Buckets
cost much less
EASY to clean
Easy to handle
impart NO plastic taste
help block light
You can drill and add a tap to make bottling and or transfering a breeze ( one hose from primary tap to bottling bucket tap)
10 times safer. drop one glass carboy and you will be finding little pieces of glass for months (hopefully not in your wife's foot)
Buckets are stackable so they take less space when not being used.

Carboys
look cooler
clear glass lets me admire my magnificent wort

For me the Coopers DIY fermenter is the best. Too bad you have to buy a kit to get a new one.

day53794453.jpg

cooldood said:
I think they could make a FORTUNE selling them but like I said you have to buy a kit.

I recently emailed them and said they may be selling them separate in the US at some point

I use buckets for primary (easy cleaning, moving, storing) then will transfer to carboy for secondary (watching for clarity esp with wine making) with beer it goes from bucket to keg more often than not these days, I will run it through a secondary carboy if I were bottling though.

Back