Glad to find a sounding board

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctormiah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to introduce myself (although I have posted a couple times already in different threads). I am a novice home brewer and I'm getting back into this passion with a, well... passion.

I began my homebrew experience with a brewer's best gift I received as a gift a few years ago. The first batch of red ale turned out delicious. Then my second batch didn't seem to ferment correctly due to wide fluctuations in temperature (no control, drafty spare room, winter time in upstate NY, etc.). Due to other obligations, moving, and life in general - I got away from homebrewing for some time.

Recently, I've had new-found interest in homebrewing. I have a few friends and relatives who also still brew from time to time. My brother actually suggested we brew on Patriot Day, which led to this quazi-barley wine experiment.

It was a little over-kill, I must admit. I am learning from my mistakes, and eager to develop some homebrewing skills before tackling high-gravity brews and experimental recipes again. After that re-introduction to the hobby/obsession, I have read a few books, including Palmer's "How to Brew," joined this forum, subscribed to beersmith podcasts, watched a bunch of brewing tv, and joined the AHA. I also have begun using beersmith2, and am considering buying it for recipe formulation and brew day schedule. Come to find out, there is a second local HBS in my area, with more great supplies and friendly know-how. I am in it for the long haul this time and armed to the teeth with tools to do this correctly!

I have a second brew going now, which is a pale ale recipe modification basically because I wanted to steep some 2-row domestic and see how it tastes after learning about different malting techniques, flavor profiles, mouthfeel and so on.

Before going any further, I feel as though I need to get back to basics, and I'm thinking of scaling back to a couple kit brews just to get my procedures down pat in my new digs with my new equipment. I will also be looking into yeast starters and kegging my brew (in a kegerator that I can use to control my fermentation temps).

Down the road, I see a top-tier system, all-grain brewing, and the home brew flowing steadily. I also plan on looking into one of two near by homebrew clubs, and attending or even participating in some competitions to develop my palate and get some honest feedback regarding my brewing skills (or lack there of).

Looking forward to relying heavily on the opinions, advice, and knowledge that is found here in this forum. I've already downloaded the app for my phone and check the posts regularly.
Cheers!
:mug:

Well, I've been brewing on and off, mostly on, for almost 40 years and I must say that you are approaching this with more gusto than I ever did, and good on ya.

Back