Glacier/ El Dorado combo??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliterunner1

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I've been neglecting my brewing lately, but I finally ordered a kit from Northern Brewer (smash kit). But instead of using the given hops, I wanted to try out El Dorado and Glacier together. I am familiar with Glacier after using it in the Surly Bitter Brewer recipe, and I love the flavor, but I know almost nothing about El Dorado hops. What do you guys think, use a combo? or just try out the El Dorado? p.s. I usually do a fwh and a large hop bursting towards the end.

I absolutely love el dorado! I make a really good amber using all El Dorado. However, I know nothing about Glacier. El Dorado is a very unique hop. It produces cherry and melon flavors, not the typical citrus and pine. With lighter malts, you'll get more melon than dark fruit from it. Other people taste pear, but I don't pick that up.

Cherry flavors you say? Interesting! Glacier is kind of a British/American hybrid, good earthiness mixed with light citrus and a soft bittering aspect, also many acids that contribute to aroma. Surly Bitter Brewer uses toasty malts with Glacier hops and describes it as "toast with marmalade" which basically hit the taste/smell spot on. I don't know how well the earthiness would go with tropical or melon flavors though.

Back