Giving knife as a gift folklore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
There is a tradition, or a superstition of sorts, that unless a coin or some other token is given in exchange for the knife, the relationship will be severed.

What if one were to include a coin in the gift and the recipient gave the coin back to the giver? Technically, the recipient received the coin as a gift and therefore it is their property. Do you think traditions abide by the letter of the law?

wildwest450 said:
Have you been sniffing gas again?

_

That's beside the point. It's a serious question. Apparently, that tradition has it's roots in several cultures. Why take chances?

I don't remember all of the specifics, but in the Special Forces, knives are common gifts, usually engraved and mounted on a plaque, but the traditions are followed. I do recall that if a folding knife is being given to another person, the giver is supposed to open it before handing it over and the receiver is supposed to fold it before handing it back.

Airborneguy said:
I don't remember all of the specifics, but in the Special Forces, knives are common gifts, usually engraved and mounted on a plaque, but the traditions are followed. I do recall that if a folding knife is being given to another person, the giver is supposed to open it before handing it over and the receiver is supposed to fold it before handing it back.

I've been looking into the folklore a bit. From what I've read, you are supposed to hand the knife back exactly as it was handed to you. Otherwise, the bad ju ju has an opening.

My MIL abides by this crazy taboo. I love giving knives for weddings. My knives are the envy of most cooks, so couples often ask me to pick out a mixed set for them.

In our culture, chances are good the relationship will end anyway, so the superstitious see quite a return on supernatural investment.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Home Brew Talk

I've been looking into the folklore a bit. From what I've read, you are supposed to hand the knife back exactly as it was handed to you. Otherwise, the bad ju ju has an opening.

I literally just went to my SF forum to check. You're right, the giver is supposed to open it and the receiver is supposed to give it back that way. I'm still looking for the answer on the gifting situation though.

weirdboy said:
Wow, I have never heard of this before. My wife and I were just considering giving some knives to friends, too.

Good friends?

I don't know how much to read into folklore but, legend has it that Custer discounted the talismans that were placed at the Little Bighorn as nothing more than heathen rituals. Maybe. Maybe not.

Speaking of Custer... He sent his bugler back right before the battle because he figured he didn't need a bugler to kill some indians. That bugler was Adam Vinitieri's great-great grandfather. If only Custer like music a little more...

Jacob_Marley said:
But if you exchange gifts, wouldn't that cover it?

This, I don't know. Fate can be a fickle mistress. I'm putting a coin in the package, and hoping the recipient has some pocket change. Just in case.

Good friends?

I don't know how much to read into folklore but, legend has it that Custer discounted the talismans that were placed at the Little Bighorn as nothing more than heathen rituals. Maybe. Maybe not.

I don't read into it at all, but I do humor friends and family who do read into it so they are happy. My wife has weird Japanese superstitions about certain things, like how you should never sleep with your head pointed North, and even though I think it's complete BS I still follow along.

Back