Ginna crack my first bottle of first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape_Town

Reaction score
So today is 2 weeks after bottling and i am gonna crack my first bottle open, im pretty excited and ithink ive done pretty well to wait this long, they have been sitting in a dark warm place for the past two weeks and my question is can i just toss 1 into the freezer to chill it before opening? Im planning on leaving the rest for atleast another week before opening.

Any comments are welcome

It sounds like you have no choice if you don't have a qualified snowbank nearby.

Put it in a big bowl or pot of ice water. Think, cooler after the ice has melted down a bit and you have that nice mix of ice and water. I can't think of any other simple way to cool a beer down quicker.

DavetheDog said:
Put it in a big bowl or pot of ice water. Think, cooler after the ice has melted down a bit and you have that nice mix of ice and water. I can't think of any other simple way to cool a beer down quicker.

This.

Just add a bit of salt to lower the freezing temp of the water. Should take about 20 mins.

You likely won't have good carbonation that way. Co2 absorption from the head space takes time. At lest a week.

I dont see a problem with that just dont forget its in there ( Like that is going to happen:D)

I do however like the other poster ice bathc is probably better

I have been brewing off and on since the mid 1990s and to this day I still dont have the discipline to wait he entire month to taste a new brew. I always bottle 4 beers from each batch in clear glass to be my "tasters" I try one at week intervals just to see how the beer is progresssing during the bottle conditioning process. This of course is totaly pointless but I do it everytime becasue it keeps me out of the beer until its done.

Ok its open 30 min in the freezer, first note is there is hardly any head, its not flat and is not tasting half bad so far im happy, first beer ive ever made, coopers australian pale ale

Back