Gigayeast Czech Pilsner Slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
Both the starter and the fermentation are much slower than what I usually experience. The (2 liter) starter took 2 days to show signs of fermentation. And even though when I pitched it it was going, the fermentation has also been very slow. In 7 days it's gone from 13.25 brix to 11.5 brix. Note it's a 5.5 gallon batch, and nothing stood out as odd about the taste or smell of the sample.

I know it's a lager, and at a low temp, etc., but this seems very slow even taking that into account. I'm not worried (ok, maybe a tiny bit)-- I'm mainly just seeing if anyone has experienced fermentation as slow as I'm describing (1.75 brix in 7 days when a good sized, active starter was used) and if they'd do anything like increase the temp a bit, or just leave it. What if the krausen starts to go down and still there's been no significant decrease in brix?

Latest posts

Back