gH and kH test kit useful at all for brewing water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdunn1221

Reaction score
Hello,

I a just did my first batch of BIAB last week. I am new to all grain, and still anxiously awaiting the results of my first batch of Irish Red Ale I made. I have well water that is very hard, but I do not have a reliable water report. I do have gH and kH test kit that I use for fish tanks. will this provide me any useful information for my brewing water??? I do have a RO DI system that I can use and add minerals if needed. I am trying to make this as easy as possible.

Any help would be appreciated. I know eventually I'll get a water report but in the meantime.....

Clearly the easiest is to use RO with salts. See the Primer. How much easier can be determined by using the kits to see how hard and alkaline the water you will be throwing away is. Once you determine to use RO the kits are of no value other than perhaps to check on how hard you are loading your RO system.

I was hoping to maybe mix And dilute RODI water which is what I did with my first batch

my kH came in around 215ppm and gH about 285 though it's tough to read the color change from this kit. My pH was 7.2

Back