GF All grain set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Nowacki

Reaction score
Besides BIAB, does anyone use an all grain automated system like Brewie, Grainfather, Robobrew or Clawhammer Set up?

If so how efficient is it compared to BIAB?

I love my Grainfather. I do a bit of a batch sparge with it and get about 75% on 6 gallon (post boil kettle volume) batches. It took some learning to get to that efficiency. I used to get mid 60s before adding the batch sparge. I have a 120V version, so i added a second element to it and i get a strong boil now. Customer service is also outstanding. My control unit went out and they sent me a full new upgraded unit to replace it. Using it is a breeze and clean up is easy too.

I also use a Grainfather (as well as @rjmaillie and @JMath ). It's awesome for doing the long rests required for GF brewing. Temp shifts are a breeze. I achieved 83% efficiency on yesterday's brew. I use the regular sparge method.

Thanks for the reply ,

Any issues with circulating the GF grains during the mash? Possible Stuck mash or filter getting clogged , I know rice hulls will help.

I have access to a grainfather through work but not keen to experiment as millet and rice malt is expensive in Australia ATM.

I typically will use 10% rice in the grain bill, but think I'm gonna bump that to 15%. My last brew was moving very slowly and the pump was struggling. I added rice hulls and it did the trick. If you use a lot of buckwheat or oats, more rice would be better. You should also disassemble the pump every few brews to give it a good soak.

My biggest issue with the GF is that grains sneak through into the kettle. It's not designed for Millet after all. I've tried to use a couple stainless mesh screens over the bottom, but it clogs within minutes. I use a strainer to get the loose grains out of the kettle. The heat times could definitely be better (120v), but the convenience of playing with the kids while watching temps rise on the iPad far out weighs the time.

My biggest issue with the GF is that grains sneak through into the kettle. It's not designed for Millet after all. I've tried to use a couple stainless mesh screens over the bottom, but it clogs within minutes. I use a strainer to get the loose grains out of the kettle. The heat times could definitely be better (120v), but the convenience of playing with the kids while watching temps rise on the iPad far out weighs the time.

I believe I saw in another post that you were thinking of adding a screen to the bottom of the grain basket. Did you try this? Did it help? I ended up with a lot of sludge during my first brew with the mash and boil. I’m guessing because of the small crush size and resulting flour that slipped through the large screen on the bottom of the grain can.

I believe I saw in another post that you were thinking of adding a screen to the bottom of the grain basket. Did you try this? Did it help? I ended up with a lot of sludge during my first brew with the mash and boil. I’m guessing because of the small crush size and resulting flour that slipped through the large screen on the bottom of the grain can.

I tried two different mesh sizes and both resulted in a stuck mash after a few minutes. However, that was with my old pump which was clearly not up to par. Since then, I've implemented a BIAB bag around the grain pipe and it works great. I'll just stick with that.

I know others in this thread have hooked up some screens successfully.

I tried two different mesh sizes and both resulted in a stuck mash after a few minutes. However, that was with my old pump which was clearly not up to par. Since then, I've implemented a BIAB bag around the grain pipe and it works great. I'll just stick with that.

What size screens did you try?

It sounds like you put the bag on the OUTside of the grain basket but I can’t envision how that would be helpful. What’s the word? Also did the bag help filter out some of the “sludge”.

The other thing that was posted seems cool and very likely to work wel but it’s north of $100...

What size screens did you try?

It sounds like you put the bag on the OUTside of the grain basket but I can’t envision how that would be helpful. What’s the word? Also did the bag help filter out some of the “sludge”.

The other thing that was posted seems cool and very likely to work wel but it’s north of $100...

Tried 600 adn then 1500. Both were a bust, though my pump was on it's way out. Grainfather replaced it and it's clear that my old pump was never quite right so not sure how those screens would do now.

Bag on the outside of the grain basket works great. I keep a tennis ball sized clump of grains from getting into the kettle. I'm not sure what mesh size the bag is.

Tried 600 adn then 1500. Both were a bust, though my pump was on it's way out.

What about the screens didn’t work? The thing I love about the mash and boil is how simple cleaning up is. Dread adding in a bag again, but want to have cleaner beer than the first few brews with the m+b.

Latest posts

Back