Getting to lager temps with your inkbird and how long does it take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
How long does it take you to drop to lager temps after brewing with the itc-308 or 310?

Reason I asked is because, this will be my first lager. On my last ale I noticed it took me almost 24hrs to cold crash from 70 down to 44 and at that point I just had to keg it bc I was on a time frame. So is this normal?

I'm wondering if it's just my fermintation chamber. I'm doing a test run right now with water and in 3hrs I've dropped from 81 to 76. I understand it takes time I'm just wondering because I've read where people will add their lager yeast in the low 60's and let it drop to lager temps and just want to make sure.

What is your method for pitching lager yeast?

The controller doesn't regulate the cooling power of your chamber only to turn the heat or cold on and off at your set temp

Yeah I get that, I guess in my head I'm thinking the inkbird will start and stop the compressor for cooling. Like I have my compressor delay on 10 minutes so will the inkbird start the cooling then after so long stop and and have to wait another 10 minutes before it kicks back on? I guess that's why I'm doing a test run to see if the delay has anything to do with it.

From what I understand the 10 minute delay is to keep the compressor from constantly cycling on and off. But if you put your beer in the chamber at 70 degrees set to 50 degrees it will stay on until the beer reaches 50. Then it will delay 10 minutes before it will go on again. The fermentation will create heat. I wonder how much the temperature would rise in 10 minutes at the height of fermentation. I have mine set for a shorter delay, I don't know off the top of my head what I have it set for.

I don't know how long it took my last lager to get to lager temperatures. It was in the winter and the beer was close to 60 degrees going in. I set it and went to bed. It was 50 degrees when I got up.

Leave the probe hanging in the air when your dropping the temp.If you tape it to the bucket/carboy the fridge will never shut off and the fridge will get below freezing. Tape it or use a thermowell only after your wort is at the temp your shooting for.Taking 24 hours is perfectly normal.My method is to use my IC to get to around 115 deg then rack and pitch the next day..saves time and water not getting it to pitch temp with the IC.

Latest posts

Back