Getting rid of odor in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwebb44

Reaction score
Hello all,
As you can see I'm newly registered to the forum but this is my go to site for brewing tips. I have found lots of helpful information on this site but have ran into a problem that I couldn't find a clear answer for. I recently purchased 3 similar container to the ones in the link below

http://www.thereadystore.com/15-gallon-water-barrel

The ones I purchased look brand new but were used to store fruit punch in during transportation and still have the odor of the punch. What I was wondering is do you think the odor will affect the beer when I ferment and if so any suggestions on how to get rid of the odor?

Well a good wash with PBW should knock it out with as hot as water as you dare to use on plastic.

If that don't do the trick maybe a overnight soak in PBW and water, maybe even bleach and water( I'm sure someone will comment if that's a good or bad idea).

And I doubt the smell will hurt anything. I use a 5 gallon igloo cooler for my HLT and someone had the great idea to use it for jungle juice. Needless to say I was very pissed and the smell seem to stay with it for at least 3 brew days. But I never noticed it in the final beer.

Hello all,
As you can see I'm newly registered to the forum but this is my go to site for brewing tips. I have found lots of helpful information on this site but have ran into a problem that I couldn't find a clear answer for. I recently purchased 3 similar container to the ones in the link below

http://www.thereadystore.com/15-gallon-water-barrel

The ones I purchased look brand new but were used to store fruit punch in during transportation and still have the odor of the punch. What I was wondering is do you think the odor will affect the beer when I ferment and if so any suggestions on how to get rid of the odor?

Oxygenating cleansers do a pretty good job removing odors. Let it soak overnight. Any smell that remains probably won't have any impact.

Latest posts

Back