getting ready for first brew.. aluminum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
So my buddies and I are doing our first brew on thanksgiving. I went out and bought a fryer for the burner and I eventually want to buy a SS pot but will we be alright using aluminum for our first brew? I've done a little research and the main thing I'm worried about is sanitizing it. Can i just boil the heck out of it with water? Any tips/advice?

Edit: before anyone yells at me saying to use the search before I post... all i have to say is.. oops. :p

So my buddies and I are doing our first brew on thanksgiving. I went out and bought a fryer for the burner and I eventually want to buy a SS pot but will we be alright using aluminum for our first brew? I've done a little research and the main thing I'm worried about is sanitizing it. Can i just boil the heck out of it with water? Any tips/advice?

Edit: before anyone yells at me saying to use the search before I post... all i have to say is.. oops. :p

Umm...when you boil the wort for 60+ min. that should take care of sanitization. The thing you want to make sure of is curing the pot. Boil water in the pot first. Dump that water out. The pot should have taken on a noticeable discoloration on the inside. Now you're ready to brew.

One further note, you should only have to cure the pot once...before your first brew. Don't use anything aggressive or abrasive to clean the pot, because you don't want to scrub off that discolored metal. It's protects your beer from contamination from bare aluminum.

AND, as long as you're boiling water to cure the aluminum pot, why cook something? Potatoes for supper, to start?

Congrats on your upcoming first brew day. As for advice for your first brew day. Just read your directions for your brew BEFORE starting, ask questions on here if something doesn't make sense before you start brewing. Don't sweat the small stuff and have fun!.

Personally, for the first boil I would use only water, and you only need an inch or two, so keep an eye out you don't run out of water while boiling. The first thing I do after assembling the burner, is boiling water after I wash the inside with soap and water.

Some people worry about aluminum dissolving into the food and causing Alzheimers. If you even think you might be concerned, once the pot has an oxide layer this is not possible.

It is a myth that Al from cooking pots causes ... um, er, ... something. I forgot.

Thank you guys! I didn't realize I only had to boil it with water once, I was just thinking to myself how much propane would go to waste if I had to boil juat water before every brew lol.

Latest posts

Back