Getting power out of a recessed panel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am an electrician. I've never had to do this before. This is actually a personal project and I thought it worked out pretty well.

I have a 1970's panel recessed in the drywall wall of the garage. I needed to get a few circuits out to use in the garage and I was planning to make additions with surface mounted conduit.

I used a 6x8 4" deep junction box. I marked it in place and cut out the drywall so I could partially recess it in the wall. I used a hole saw to drill a hole in the side of the panel that matched up with a knockout on the junction box. That part will depend on the box/panel you have. Then I used a close nipple to attach the two and a few self tapping sheet metal screws to sturdy things up. I actually just caulked three sides of the box to sturdy it up against the drywall. I would probably never do that as a professional but I can't believe how solid it is.

I pre-drilled a few holes in the top so I can run out conduits as I need. It all took less than an hour. I do have the proper tools at hand though.

I've seen this issue come up occasionally and thought this may help someone out...
Cheers.
IMG_20180201_151449593.jpg

Last edited:
I like how you did that.
Its a clean solution for accessing your recessed panel when you need to surface mount new work.

Back