getting grains when batch sparging with SS false bottom and pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Island Brewer

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
For the first time in 21 years I gave batch sparging a whirl, for no other reason than to try it. On my three-vessel keggle system I fly sparge or partigyle, and then I also have a BIAB system.

I use a chugger pump and a SS steel false bottom, and after vorlauf and collecting the first runnings, I added enough water to my mash to hit my pre-boil volume. Stirred, vorlaufed again, then drained the mash tun. At the very end, I started to draw quite a bit of grain material into my tubing and boil kettle. I'm guessing I need to slow down the flow rate, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

It was nice to see just a small hit - 6-7% lower efficiency that with fly sparging a beer of a similar gravity. I'll probably do it again when the urge hits.

It has to do with your false bottom construction or crush, may just have to vorlauf a little more and give it more time the settle.
I have a double false bottom now for the same reason and I never choke down the flow rate of my pump when circulating.
You will enjoy batch sparging, the time savings easily offset the few efficiency points that you loose.

It has to do with your false bottom construction or crush, may just have to vorlauf a little more and give it more time the settle.
I have a double false bottom now for the same reason and I never choke down the flow rate of my pump when circulating.
You will enjoy batch sparging, the time savings easily offset the few efficiency points that you loose.
Probably the hole size. After the vorlauf it was clear, it was only the last quarter gallon that it started pulling grains through the screen. Perhaps if I do it again, I'll put the brakes on the flow rate near the end.

Say more about a "double false bottom".

Say more about a "double false bottom".

I use a keggle for my mash tun.
Top false bottom is a 15" fold-able false bottom that I got from norcal (jaybird). Bottom is my old 10" false bottom. There is some dead space between them, if anything gets by the full bottom screen it is usually caught by the lower screen.

Jaybird now has a 3 way filtration system that works similarly (probably works better) using a preforated stand: http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Keg_Conversion_False_Bottom_Hole_Level_3_Stand.php

I can't remember if my current hinged false bottom is from norcal or brewhardware, but that double do-hickey that does under the hinged FB is a nice addition. Might add that at some point, thanks for pointing it out!

Latest posts

Back