Getting Better Efficiency Batch Sparging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankbr

Reaction score
I just wanted to share some tips that have helped me achieve higher efficiency with each brew batch sparging, the latest being 80%! It's taken me ~10 brews to achieve this through trial and error and a boatload of reading! I'm just trying to save you some time. My equipment consists of a 10 gallon Rubbermaid converted cooler from HD. I make 5 gallon batches. My pre-boil wort is always 6.5 gallons. I typically boil 1.25 gallons (60 minute boils) off to achieve 5.25 gallons post-boil.

1) Strike water: I use an app called Sparge Pal (free on smart phones) to calculate approximate strike water amounts and temperature. Depending on the grain bill, you will need to modify some settings. 1.25 qt/gal just didn't seem to cut it for me, so I bumped my amount to 1.5 qt/gal and couldn't be happier. This results in a 'soupier' mash but, hey, it's working better!

2) Strike temp: I usually mash around 152* and Sparge Pal says I need to use 163* water to achieve this. I usually preheat mash water to ~168*-170*, pour into mashtun, cover, let it sit for about 10 minutes to warm up the vessel, open lid, stir water, and then add grain. Temperature settles nicely to ~152* (+/-1*).

3) Mash: I mash for 60 minutes. I stir the grain like it's my biotch on mash-in, and subsequently stir thoroughly every 15 minutes, while checking temperature to see if it's maintaining (which it always is). I even stir right before I vorlauf and drain the first runnings. This 'stir' process has helped me boost efficiency more than anything Vorlauf and drain.

4) Sparge: With my last 2 batches, I have double sparged. My first runnings usually get me anywhere from 2.5-3 gallons. I always heat up roughly 4 gallons of sparge water to ~180*.

a) Sparge 1: I add 2 gallons of water to the mashtun. Stir rigorously again, vorlauf and drain. This will yield me ~4.5 gallons of wort.

b) Sparge 2: I add the remaining 2 gallons of water to the mashtun. Stir rigorously again, vorlauf and drain. This will yield me ~6.5 gallons of wort.​

5) Boil and complete the process as you normally would.

I have seriously racked my brain as to why my numbers were coming up short. These few simple steps, IMHO, have helped me achieve 76-80% efficiency in my last 2 batches. I am happy hitting these numbers and hope to consistently achieve this on future batches. I hope this helps as refining my processes have definitely helped me! Enjoy! :ban::rockin::tank:

Get your grains milled even finer and you will bump your efficiency to 85%.

Depends on your drainage though. My grains have a lot of powder in them because they are ground pretty fine. But i never get a stuck sparge.

I get 90% efficiency.

I have a couple of questions....
1. You mentioned you start with 6.5 gallons, boil off 1.25, and end up with 5.25. I assume this 5.25 includes break & hops (trub), so do you just dump this into your fermenter? If not, are you getting closer to 4.5 gallons in you fermenter? I typically wind up with between 0.75-1.25 gallons of trub in my kettle, which doesn't go into my fermenter.

2. What is the main thing you think you are doing differently from other batch spargers to achieve good efficiency? Not trying to be condescending, but it looks like a fairly standard process.

I have a couple of questions....
1. You mentioned you start with 6.5 gallons, boil off 1.25, and end up with 5.25. I assume this 5.25 includes break & hops (trub), so do you just dump this into your fermenter? If not, are you getting closer to 4.5 gallons in you fermenter? I typically wind up with between 0.75-1.25 gallons of trub in my kettle, which doesn't go into my fermenter.

2. What is the main thing you think you are doing differently from other batch spargers to achieve good efficiency? Not trying to be condescending, but it looks like a fairly standard process.

1) After cooling the wort, I stir the wort, take a gravity reading and I pour into fermenter through a mesh screen (kitchen strainer) to catch the thick stuff. So I typically end up a little more than 5 gallons primary wort. It does an excellent job of filtering for me.
wort_strainer.JPG

2) I think stirring every 15 minutes and doing a double-sparge has helped me benefit the most. Prior to this, I wasn't stirring much (more like mash in and wait 60 minutes) and was only performing a one-time 4 gallon sparge.

You're good, I don't feel talked down to. :mug: While the process may be 'fairly standard', I think many AG brewers starting out might encounter these frustrations while developing and fine-tuning their processes. Some steps could be missed along the way and I was simply lending a few thoughts. Like most of us, I believe fine-tuning is more evolutionary through research and trial and error. If this helps anyone starting out getting a head start, it sure can't hurt.

What is the main thing you think you are doing differently from other batch spargers to achieve good efficiency?

This 'stir' process has helped me boost efficiency more than anything

It looks like the stirring is probably the reason. I tried a stirring experiment as part of a radio show experiment and my efficiency went up ~ 5% when I stirred every 15 minutes. My mash temp also dropped ~5 degrees so I ended up going back to mash in stirring only. I'm just getting into electric HERMS brewing now and the efficiency gains from the constant recirculation of the mash are pretty substantial. You are correct that the rest of the process looks pretty much normal, so my money is on the extra stirring.

To the OP, good post!

I use a 52 quart (13 gal) rectangular "Extreme" cooler. Even with 13# grain at a 1.5 water ratio, there's a lot of head space. I cover the mash with aluminum foil.

Don't you lose heat?
Each time I open the tun to stir I tend to lose 2 degrees on the mash. In an effort to counteract that, I drain off 3/4 gallon before I stir and heat it to 160-164, then add it back in and stir for a minute. It still seems like a losing battle to keep the mash temp, so I leave the mash alone for at least 30 minutes before even attempting that.

I use a 52 quart (13 gal) rectangular "Extreme" cooler. Even with 13# grain at a 1.5 water ratio, there's a lot of head space. I cover the mash with aluminum foil.

Don't you lose heat?
Each time I open the tun to stir I tend to lose 2 degrees on the mash. In an effort to counteract that, I drain off 3/4 gallon before I stir and heat it to 160-164, then add it back in and stir for a minute. It still seems like a losing battle to keep the mash temp, so I leave the mash alone for at least 30 minutes before even attempting that.

With the 10 gallon Rubbermaid, I don't lose much heat at all, maybe 1-2* over an hour. Plus stirring redistributes the heat evenly on top, in the middle and on bottom.

Get your grains milled even finer and you will bump your efficiency to 85%.

Depends on your drainage though. My grains have a lot of powder in them because they are ground pretty fine. But i never get a stuck sparge.

I get 90% efficiency.

I purposefully left out the part about grain crush, because I am sure many, like me, don't have the current means to crush our own grain. Since that piece is out of my control (I can crush my own at the LHBS, but I am unable to adjust the gaps), I have left it out. Grain crush is as equally important, but out of my controlled realm.

Don't you lose heat?

This is where you lose me....this seems like alot of work to eck 5% from the mash...I typically weigh hops, clean equipment and the like during the mash, which results in a shorter brew-day and a much bigger advantage in my book.

Don't you lose heat?

I only stir right in the beginning of the mash. I get 80 percent eff. I think the biggest trick is the gain crush. Mine almost looks like flour.

Good post OP. A good process that will help eek out additional efficiency points for many folks. My process is similar but slightly different.

I simply stir once at the midpoint, and at that time I refresh my temperature with 2-4 cups of near boiling water. I have found that with preheating the MLT with 8-10°F warmer strike water for 10-15 minutes (and ensuring an airtight lid) that I will only lose about 1°F over 30-40 minutes, so it doesn't take much near-boiling water to refresh my desired mash temp.

I've also found the predictability of my FG and overall beer profile to be MUCH more in-line with my/beersmiths estimations when PEGGING the mash temperature like I do. THIS has been the single biggest benefit I have experienced since ensuring a constant mash temp (or lack of dropping mash temp).

Lastly, I was getting a solid 73-74% fermenter efficiency (78% mash efficiency) when using my LHBS mill, and that has gone up to 79-82% fermenter efficiency (83-88% mash efficiency) since using my own mill.

Cheers!!! and good post with some great process steps! :mug:

I have to disagree about stirring being the boost to your efficiency. Ever since I got my Barley Crusher and have been milling my grains my efficiency has been 81% consistently. I also double batch sparge, even though most say it's unnecessary and a single sparge is just as good I know it works for me and in my head two rinses always "sounds" better than one so that's why I'm stubborn to change it. However, I used to stir twice (after the initial of course) over a 60 minute mash. I'd read many say it's not worth the temp loss and that it doesn't make any difference. So, I decided I'd just stir once for good measure at the 30 minute halfway point. My efficiency hasn't changed from 81% and I haven't noticed any negative effects whatsoever to only stirring once during an hour long mash.

Rev.

Excellent information. I'm currently building a mash tun in preparation for moving away from BIAB, and this information will help me get off on the right foot.

Since I never tried stirring during the mash (only got 62% efficiency on my last BIAB), it occurs to me that I may be doing it wrong during the boil as well. Do you have to stir during the boil on an all-grain batch?

I have to disagree about stirring being the boost to your efficiency. Ever since I got my Barley Crusher and have been milling my grains my efficiency has been 81% consistently. I also double batch sparge, even though most say it's unnecessary and a single sparge is just as good I know it works for me and in my head two rinses always "sounds" better than one so that's why I'm stubborn to change it. However, I used to stir twice (after the initial of course) over a 60 minute mash. I'd read many say it's not worth the temp loss and that it doesn't make any difference. So, I decided I'd just stir once for good measure at the 30 minute halfway point. My efficiency hasn't changed from 81% and I haven't noticed any negative effects whatsoever to only stirring once during an hour long mash.
Rev.

I always find it interesting how different peoples systems react. It's the reason you can give 20 people the same recipe and end up with 20 different beers. For me I lost 5 degrees from the 3 additional stirrings (15, 30, 45 minutes) but others reported losing no temp at all. Different measurement methods, different accuracy ranges on thermometers, different insulation factors, etc, etc. What works for one brewer won't necessarily work for another depending on their equipment. I know that sounds really politically correct, but it's just how it is.

I always find it interesting how different peoples systems react. It's the reason you can give 20 people the same recipe and end up with 20 different beers. For me I lost 5 degrees from the 3 additional stirrings (15, 30, 45 minutes) but others reported losing no temp at all. Different measurement methods, different accuracy ranges on thermometers, different insulation factors, etc, etc. What works for one brewer won't necessarily work for another depending on their equipment. I know that sounds really politically correct, but it's just how it is.

You are correct from my perspective, and I agree. Brewing is HIGHLY system- and process-dependant.

Do you have to stir during the boil on an all-grain batch?

Only if you want to. I only stir at hop addition times because I'm usually using whole cones in a bag and want them to get submerged ASAP.

Latest posts

Back