Getting Back to Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
Hi guys. Had a quick question or two.

First, I have a bottle tree I bought 2 years ago or so and it has been in the attic for a while. I got it down and it's covered in dust. Can I just wash this really good and sanitize it or does it need to be tossed? I know it is plastic but I'm hoping I can still use it.

Secondly, I have a 5 gal glass carboy for secondary use. I got it down and it's been well taken care of and was stored with the bung n air lock in it. It took some laboring to get the bung out and I noticed it left a rough film around the mouth of the carboy. I'm going to scrub it good with some pbw and hope it will come off. If it doesn't would you use it? I take it that this is residue from the rubber bung but don't want to risk contamination.

I tossed all my plastic stuff and buckets but I'm hoping I can still use some of this stuff.

1- absolutely. A good wash with oxyclean or PBW in hot water (I would avoid soap) will do it.

There's no reason the carboy shouldn't be cleanable. If PBW paste doesn't work, use Barkeeper's Friend and rinse it super well.

Welcome back to the addiction, and the group.

No... You should ship both items to me for proper disposal. (Hoping for an early Christmas present)

Both items are fine just need cleaning.

Hi guys. Had a quick question or two.

First, I have a bottle tree I bought 2 years ago or so and it has been in the attic for a while. I got it down and it's covered in dust. Can I just wash this really good and sanitize it or does it need to be tossed? I know it is plastic but I'm hoping I can still use it.

Secondly, I have a 5 gal glass carboy for secondary use. I got it down and it's been well taken care of and was stored with the bung n air lock in it. It took some laboring to get the bung out and I noticed it left a rough film around the mouth of the carboy. I'm going to scrub it good with some pbw and hope it will come off. If it doesn't would you use it? I take it that this is residue from the rubber bung but don't want to risk contamination.

I tossed all my plastic stuff and buckets but I'm hoping I can still use some of this stuff.

You can reuse everything. The carboy just needs a good cleaning.
My neighbor gave me five carboys that had been sitting in his yard for years.

These things were nasty. They had green scum,tree sap and who knows what else was there. I soaked them in a solution of oxyclean for a few days and was able to get them like new. I immersed them in a trash can with a liner.

They were fairly old too. Made in Mexico, Deer Park water, and one of them was completely clear with no markings almost like a lab jar.

Back