Get started with all-grain the easy way (and cheap...er)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normonster

Reaction score
I have a nice 10 gallon three vessel system at home, but lately I’ve been taking a different approach, mainly to diversify my brews and try some new styles without ending up with a full 10 gallons of each. It struck me not long ago that I really wish someone had laid it out like this for me when I started. I waited a long time to buy my brew rig and it was expensive – had I known what I could do with basic tools I may not have ever bought the big system, but really, all these tools translate to a larger system, save maybe the small kettle.

That said, here is the start-up advice I would give to anyone thinking about getting their feet wet with brewing. I recommend going straight to all-grain, but this would obviously work with extract as well.

Cheers! I hope someone out there finds this useful.

Phase One:
BeerSmith (moble ap or PC version)
3 Gallon Kettle
BIAB bag to fit (if you scale up later, this is your hop bag)
Auto Syphon
Scale (tenth gram accuracy – hops now, water additions later)
Refractometer
FG Hydrometer
5L wine bottle or equivalent (Capable of fermenting 1.25 gallons with headspace for krausen)
Airlock
(2) 2L flip-top growlers/bottles
Corn Sugar for priming, grain for recipe (pre-milled), hops for recipe
Starsan
PBW
Whirlfloc

*With this setup you can mash and boil 2-2.5 gallons of wort on your stovetop (need at least 1.25 gallons of boiled wort), chill the boiled wort in your sink, transfer wort and ferment in the wine bottle, then transfer to the growlers and prime for carbonation. You end up with 4L of finished beer in two growlers. Not to mention you can do this in your kitchen.

Phase Two:
Mini fridge (tall enough to fit your fermentation vessel with airlock)
Inkbird temp controller (2 stage)
Reptile heat-mat (or propagation heat-mat or whatever source of heat you want to use)
Second 5L wine bottle
Second airlock
Two more flip-top growlers
Maybe a cheap Corona grain mill, but buying pre-milled at this rate of consumption is totally fine

**Now you are set to control the temperature of your fermentation and double you production capacity. With a 2 week fermentation window and a 1 week bottle refermentation you could add a third set of fermenter/airlock/growlers and set yourself up with 2 growlers per week with weekly brew days, and you can make a wide range of styles and not have to worry about what you’ll do with 5 gallons of Russian Imperial Death Water. Not to mention that if a recipe does go awry, you can dump and not lose much in the way of cost.

Phase Three:
Download Brew’n Water (and read all the notes)
pH meter
pH meter calibration/storage solutions
Pipette
Lactic Acid (go EASY on additions here…start with half what is specified in Brew’n, measure and adjust further)
All chemicals for water adjustment listed in Brew’n Water (Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Baking Soda, etc.)

***Now you are not only controlling the temperature of your ferment, but you are also in control of your water profile. It can be tailored to support certain styles and their characteristics.

See, I think I had a different issue. I got the 100 dollar extract kit I'm sure many of us have bought to realize after the second one...this isn't going to work I need to do All Grain I am addicted. So I went and got 8 gallon kettles, pump, plate chiller, and a few misc toys to make everything enjoyable and fun. Now...here is my problem this system works great but now I want to make 10 or 15 gallon batches b/c 5 gallons goes too fast and doesn't give me enough inventory for my pipeline. I entertain a lot and often my brother will take home growler's from my tap. So I have to basically spend another 500 dollar AT LEAST to upgrade to make bigger batches.

So I guess the whole point of my story is don't go buy a really nice 3 gallon kettle or even 8 gallon until you really figure out what size batches you want to brew. The rest of the stuff mentioned in the OP's post is very good advice.

Also as a side note look carefully into both gas and electric system before you make your choice. Sometimes I wish I had a RIMs setup but I am just way to invested to make the change right now.

So I guess the whole point of my story is don't go buy a really nice 3 gallon kettle or even 8 gallon....

Heard that. The 3 gallon kettle I use for this is old as hell, from a yardsale, purchased for like $5 vs. my 15 gallon HD Morebeer kettles that were like $300 each. If that were my concern, I'd do exactly as above but in a 15 gallon kettle on a burner (that later can become part of your 3 vessel), or I'd just use the biggest pot in the kitchen and cut it to 1/2 gallon batches - smaller fermenter - one 2L growler.

On the gas vs. electric, no decision needed because you can just boil on your stovetop with the setup above.

I think it is a nearly fool-proof way to get going for the cost of like one 15 gallon kettle with false bottom, valve, thermo and sightglass.

BTW, if you're looking at 10 gallon batches do yourself a favor and get a 20 gallon boil kettle. After chiller, lines, trub, etc, I have to boil 14 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle and it is really an unnecessary challenge.

normonster, I like your thinking.

I downsized to a 3 gallon system and I am VERY happy. Lot less stuff to move around. Shorter brew day. Can brew more often.

Bigger isn't always better. I'm sure though it works for some.

All the Best,
D. White

normonster, I like your thinking.

I downsized to a 3 gallon system and I am VERY happy. Lot less stuff to move around. Shorter brew day. Can brew more often.

Bigger isn't always better. I'm sure though it works for some.

All the Best,
D. White

Yep, and in your boxer shorts no less.

The best though is of course to have both options. :)

Lol for me it was easy. Already had an old 11 gallon turkey frying pot and burner. Went to biab and never looked back. Such an easy process.

Back