Gervin and WineWorks General Purpose Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesbsmith

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any opinion on the Gervin Yeasts for use with wine please as I have just bought a load (as well as a few other brands)?!

I asked WineWorks what the quality of Gervin yeast was in comparison to their tubs of general wine purpose yeast as I have just bought a tub from themselves. They said that the quality of Gervin yeasts has been really over taken, and that their General Purpose Yeast was of good quality?!

I am not sure about this, as have been warned about general tub yeasts, and wonder whether they are just wanting me to buy theirs rather than gervins' or any other manufacturers?!

Thanks guys!

Jim

I searched the web to look at these yeast and a few are strains similar to Red star yeast, most yeast strains are existing strains, so nothing new - that's the good news.
The bad news is that most manufacturers give you much more info so you can make educated decisions, each yeast is selected to bring out characteristics that are not only appealing, but that are significant to the varietal, and have various tolerances.
Check out the Lalvin website and you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about.
I would never buy a universal anything for wine or beer, can you imagine purchasing a bag of universal grain to brew with, or a few lugs of universal grapes to make the next batch of wine?
We can make such superior wine and beer these days compared to even 10 yrs ago due to the advancements in brewing and wine making technologies, yeast is a very important part of both.
I use the major manufacturers/developers products that are tested, proven, tried and true, in brewing and wine making, you really only get what you pay for.

Back