German style growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugenio

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Visited Hill Farmstead brewery this weekend in Vermont. Nice to see a state that will fill an assortment of growlers, I pacrticularly like th epalla style hill farmstead sells, sexy thing!

Anyways, waiting in line to fill the growler, I noticed a sign that read: 'will not fill clear glass, stainless or german style growlers". Anyone have any idea why they cant fill the german style ones? Just a curiosity...

i don't know why... why not stainless?

breweries that refuse to fill certain style growlers "just because" are a pet peeve of mine.

The stainless steel I kinda get, I assume it has to be something with vermont laws, like its illegal to fill clear glass, or containers that are not glass. You know how wording is...

Its the german growler thing that has me confused.

At first I assumed the handled swing top kind, but that doesn't make much sense so I'm thinking they mean ceramic kinds, as I have seen a few from german breweries like that.
E.g.,
PumpkinGrowler.jpg

It would fit with the other non-brown glass ones they've excluded... for whatever reason.

Back