German. Pronunciation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short, full of wonder and beauty. But because life is also unpredictable and terrifying, you should yell it at them, in German."

ICH LIEBE DICH!

I find most things are better when yelled in German. But Spanish works too. And Russian. Definitely Russian. And Klingon too, if you're into that. Any language where "hello" translates more literally to "what do you want" is worth constantly using loudly.

a meno que habita nel nord estremo, un cane diventa ein hund ancora. Particolarmente in Trento Alto Adige. Ciao cin cin.
Interessante...ma Trento era tedesco in storia, no? Cosi' questo ha un senso.

Mi dispiace per mio italiano cattivo - sono Americano - ho abitato in Roma due anni fa.

Poor-sheh.

In Italian, the vowels are consistent in their pronunciation.

A = "ah"
E = "eh"
I = "e"
O = "oh"
U = "u" but your lips don't move. We pronounce it "ye-ew". It's more like "ooh" but not "ohw".

so what does Poor-sha have to do with Italian, anyway?

Interessante...ma Trento era tedesco in storia, no? Cosi' questo ha un senso.

Mi dispiace per mio italiano cattivo - sono Americano - ho abitato in Roma due anni fa.

sono Americano anche ma mio amico preferito e Bergemasco, siamo come famiglia. Ho imperato l'Italiano per quasi dice anni. La sorella di mi amico abita in Lazio. Piacere, grazie.

The OP surprises me - I haven't studied it, but French pronunciation is absolutely wack. .

Yes, French pronunciation is hard. However, home brewers don't call it season and beerdy gourd. They do a pretty good job on those two. Our pronunciation of German in general needs attention. Take the following phrases in French:

vis-a-vis
nome de plume
raison d'etre
joie de vivre

Most Americans get the spirit of those words. We don't pronounce it joy di vivry. If it's a German word, however, we try our best to pronounce it as far from accurate as possible.

One interesting thought that I had yesterday. OK, so we English speakers have adopted a lot of German words from brewing. Did you know the Germans don't really have a word for stout and ale? They just use stout and ale.

Das Stout
Das Ale

I don't bother trying to pronounce things correctly. It makes me feel pretentious, like the gringo who rolls the R's when ordering a burrito at Taco Bell. :p Then again I hail from the part of the country that's famous for butchering it's own tongue, let alone foreign words....

True, I do think it tends to sound pretentious when people try to pronounce things correctly, as weird as that sounds. I always get annoyed when people say for the bags that go on bike racks, pannier, they pronounce it Panny-eh. Sounds goofy.
I always thought in Spanish class that it sounded funny when they said English names very proper and everything else sounds, well, like foreign language. Just say it how you'd say it in your native tongue...
I don't know though...it's not a bad thing to try and pronounce things correctly though...

EDIT: Oh that reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George is dating a woman who says "Pahpy-eh Muh-shay", and George calls her pretentious.

I don't know man, but that must be the biggest city in Germany. There's signs for that place at every exit ramp on the autobahn. :D

Hey, I live there! If you ever get to Ausfahrt, the second house down Einbahnstrasse is my place. Just ring. ;)

[edit] nevermind. I was about point something out that was mentioned already.

I personally never understood why so many German words are used. It seems silly to me. Afterall beer has been made all over the world and it seems odd to describe truuuub for an Australian Bitter. Or Krausen on an American pale ale.

I think using German only terms some how negates all the other countries contributions.

I personally never understood why so many German words are used. It seems silly to me. Afterall beer has been made all over the world and it seems odd to describe truuuub for an Australian Bitter. Or Krausen on an American pale ale.

I think using German only terms some how negates all the other countries contributions.

Well it's down to tradition and where the industrial processes were cemented and passed on from, this happens to be mostly Germany...apart from Belgium, name one other country that is famous for beer...where beer is the first thing that enters your head when the country is named...????

How do you say "fermentation" in Sumerian?

Seriously? I apologize but that is just silly

Beer is made EVERYWHERE and for thousands of years EVERYWHERE

England
Germany
Belgium
USA
Canada
Mexico
Ireland
Australia
Japan
Scotland

Country Production in Litres Percentage of World Total
China 44.8 billion liters 25.3 %
United States 22.9 billion liters 13.7 %
Russia 10.8 billion liters 6.4 %
Brazil 10.7 billion liters 6.3 %
Germany 9.9 billion liters 5.9 %

I guess since China produces the most beer maybe we hould start speaking mandarin

England
Germany
Belgium
USA
Canada
Mexico
Ireland
Australia
Japan
Scotland

I guess since China produces the most beer maybe we hould start speaking mandarin

Have you heard of Don Quixote?

das Hündchen

Meine Hunde fahren in der Hundewagen:

17ra6c.jpg

MC

We need English words for all of these. It'll make life easier. :D

We need English words for all of these. It'll make life easier. :D

brewer1:What was it that Krausen was called again?
Brewer2:Fermentation foam.
brewer1:Yeah, I'm really glad we translated that one, it's so much easier to remember.

brewer1:What was it that Krausen was called again?
Brewer2:Fermentation foam.
brewer1:Yeah, I'm really glad we translated that one, it's so much easier to remember.

SomeoneWithABrain1: Let's just pronounce it "krow-zen."
SomeoneWithABrain2: "OK. Great."

:mug:

German is pronouced the same way it is spelled, but you have to understand the German alphabet first. I agree with the reason we use so many German brewing words is that most of the breweries in America were started by Germans. It just became an industry standard.

I remember back in the early 80's I was visiting a friend in Lawrence Kansas. He had just picked up some German students from the airport and we were going to take them out drinking that night. Well after we had a table of empty Michelob bottles I learnsd how to cuss in German. Go figure!

England
Germany
Belgium
USA
Canada
Mexico
Ireland
Australia
Japan
Scotland

Well, Tsing-Tao brewery was started by a group of German and English brewers. The Czech Pils style was started by a German brewer. And German brewers Miller, Anheuser, Busch and Pabst brought their style to America. The Mexican Negra Modelo is styled after a Vienna Lager. It just seems as if the Germans were really good at brewing and that people studied German techniques to make good, clean, consistent beers.

I guess I don't get the big hang up with correct pronunciation. Heck, you can go to just about any state in the Union here and find a lot of words that are pronounced differently, just depending on what part of the state you are in. Let alone what country.

Next time anyone is in Chicago, point to a tree, as someone what that is. Then hold up 3 fingers and ask them how many fingers you are holding up. I've lived here for 20 years and still laugh that in Chicago Tree and Three are the same word.

Back