German Hefeweisen Kit and T-58 Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc8015

Reaction score
I bought the German Hefeweizen extract kit from morebeer.com. For this batch I decided to go with T-58 yeast. I'll pitch around 65 then ferment for a little over two weeks at 67 degrees (or so). I'll then bottle condition for about seven weeks before getting into these things in September. Any thoughts on this? German style wheat with that particular yeast?

Hefeweizen is all about the yeast. T-58 is not a Hefeweizen yeast. Get 3068 or WL300. Save the T-58 for a Saison or kooky experimental thing where its.. flamboyant.. pepperiness won't be too obnoxious.

Hefeweizens have the advantage of being very quick to mature, with the corollary disadvantage of being quick to go downhill. If you ferment it right, it will be over the hill by week 7.

I will also say that's not the best yeast to use, if you have to use dry yeast for some reason wb-06 is much closer to what you want.

I will also say that's not the best yeast to use, if you have to use dry yeast for some reason wb-06 is much closer to what you want.

Unfortunately morebeer.com doesn't carry wb-06.

The order is placed. I'll report back in few weeks with the results.

Back