Georgia Peach Wine Recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
I'm getting a half bushel of peaches from Georgia on the way back from Florida and wanted some feedback on a proposed recipe. I couldn't find one in the recipe section and doing a search yields tons that seem untested. So I cobbled (pun intended) a couple together and this is what I came up with.

25 lbs – Quartered and De-Stoned Peaches, frozen and thawed, skins on.
12.5lbs of sugar
Acid Blend to taste (I have no experience here, help appreciated.)
2 gal apple or white grape juice with no preservatives, maybe 1 of each.
6 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp – Yeast Energizer
1 1/2 tsp Tannin (again little experience here)
1/4 tsp – K-Meta
5 tsp pectic enzyme (double dose, I read peaches have a ton of pectin.)
3.5 gallons of spring water
10g of K1V-1116
Maybe 1 vanilla pod in secondary

I'm wanting an OG of 1.100 and want to finish out 14-15% ABV, so I'll adjust the sugar accordingly. Also, I'm thinking about using half the peaches to start, and the other half in secondary after stabilization. I don't know how much flavor is lost during primary. Also think I might add a vanilla bean to secondary and back sweetening to 1.010 or so. Thoughts? My main concerns revolve around the use of the tannin and acid blend. Also on using the grape and/or apple juice. Should I use less or more? I want a full bodied wine, but I want the peaches to be the star.

Switch up the juice to Welch's white grape peach juice. That alone has a nice peachy fermented taste and will work better to keep the peach flavor as the star while adding body which peach wines usually lack. Acid blend does not need to be a lot so I would say 1 tsp max on that. I normally do not use wine tannin so not sure there but in my peach wines I like to add 1tbs earl grey tea just strait loose leaf into the primary.

Switch up the juice to Welch's white grape peach juice. That alone has a nice peachy fermented taste and will work better to keep the peach flavor as the star while adding body which peach wines usually lack. Acid blend does not need to be a lot so I would say 1 tsp max on that. I normally do not use wine tannin so not sure there but in my peach wines I like to add 1tbs earl grey tea just strait loose leaf into the primary.

I'm going to make a peach wine soon, and I ran across this thread.

I'm curious as to why you add the earl grey tea. Is it for flavor, or is there some sort of benefit?

It replaces the tannin addetive. If you make this, make sure to put your peaches in a nylon sack. I ruined my batch because the pulp takes up soooo much volume, but if its in a sack you can squeeze the liquid out and discard at the appropriate time.

Correct it is a tannin replacement. I think it adds a slightly different flavor profile that I like too.

Awesome tips guys. Thanks a lot!

I make tons of beer, but I've only dabbled with wine once or twice.

Back