George Washington’s Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyisstrange

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had a step by step recipe of Washington’s beer...I’ve seen a few posts, but I’m still pretty new at this, usually only do kits a couple times a year...want to step it up a little but really want to make Washington’s recipe...just think it would be fun...thanks!

washingtonbeer.jpg

i'd just recommend putting your mash tun in something like this.......

Historically Washington's field expedient "small beer" or "small brew" for the troops was a pretty rough recipe. Given today's available ingredients it's nothing I'd want to drink on a regular basis.
On the other hand there's a commercial porter that Philly's Yards Brewing markets that is pretty good. It's a well-hopped porter style around 7%ABV that's a nice warmer during the winter months. If I buy some I save a couple and drink 'em warm at room temperature on a cold day. On an empty belly it has a nice kick with a molasses edge that will warm your toes.

True story, man would get very upset if he didn't have his drink with breakfast...was known in his letters to friends complaing about lack of Madeira. Saw it with my own two eyes.

i wasn't calling you a liar.....safer then water! ( i was just laughing about my 6am drinking, and how they always said "when you grow up you could be president!") :mug:

I know you weren't just wanted to help everyone out with a little history lesson.

as far as i know, the workin' men would send the boys to the bar to grab small beer for work too....

edit: now i just brew big batches of kombucha!

Back