Geo Caching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of outdoorsy type people here so I was wondering if anyone has ever Geocached? It basically like a GPS scavenger hunt. You find a container that basically has little rinky dink items in it and you can take an item as long as you leave one. My dad recently gave me his old Garmin GPS12 so I think I might go try an find a nearby cache tomorrow. Seems like an interesting hobby to get into. I like through the woods so this might make it a little more interesting. If anyone has ever done it, how hard was it to find the cache once you got to the coordinates? My GPS receiver has an Estimated Position Error of around 25 feet, so i guess I will have to hunt for this box once I get there. Sounds pretty cool though.

Some are pretty simple to find, other people go a little overboard and you can step on it and not know its there.

This must have been where I saw it initially but I half assed the search before I posted this. My bad. Should be quite the adventure today. Walking my 65lb lab and beagle through the woods while trying to look at the gps.

I used to a few years ago but havent since I moved back east...

One time I went to find a cache with SWMBO out in the Nevada desert. We actually got quite lost, which is funny considering I had a freakin GPS in my hand.

A guy I work with is big into it. I have gone out a few times and find it enjoyable. Some of the caches can be extremely tough when its a micro cache and you are looking for something the size of a pen cap on park benches.

I enjoy it, but often don't think about doing it. I would like to finish setting up my own puzzle cache, but need to find a good location that I can keep an eye on it.

hahahahaha, I didn't even think about that. I thought it would have been 342. I'm too much of a math geek apparently.

Do you guys decrypt the hint before you set out? I found the first one I set out on and then went to another site. I couldnt really look too in depth because my dogs were being super annoying. The beagle is pulling one direction and the lab is pulling in another. Cant take em both next time, just too much work. I never found the second cache but after I got home I looked at the hint and it would have totally helped.

I couldnt really look too in depth because my dogs were being super annoying. The beagle is pulling one direction and the lab is pulling in another. Cant take em both next time, just too much work.

You might want to look into a dual-walker leash.

I couldnt really look too in depth because my dogs were being super annoying. The beagle is pulling one direction and the lab is pulling in another. Cant take em both next time, just too much work.

You're in the woods. Why do you need a leash? Let'em run, and if muggles come around, then leash'em until the muggles wander off.

The lab I trust. He actually slipped out of this collar a few times and I didn't even know it. The beagle on the other hand, as soon as his nose hits a scent that fits his fancy, he is going to follow it. Next time I may leave the lab off the leash and keep the beagle on.

just checked - there are a few people in Tasmania that do it. About a doz. In a place the same size as Scotland. This may be tricky!

The beagle on the other hand, as soon as his nose hits a scent that fits his fancy, he is going to follow it.
Oh yeah, all bets are off when a beagle is tracking - especially if that scent happens to be a rabbit. I gotta say, it is pretty cool to see Bailey track and bay off lead.

Maybe in a few years I can let him off. He is only 11 months old and has been mellowing out a lot over the last few months. I am sure you can attest, but when he gets on that scent, he zones out completely.

Back