Generations of the Same Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one do you like best

• 1968 - Wallace

• 2001 - I Monster

• 2006 - Lupa

• None - All were Shat

Results are only viewable after voting.
A few back I listened to the free version, then the duane allman version following a comment which then took me to a howling wolf and finally Jeff Beck and Tom Jones. Today did some looking for a earlier version than howling wolf.

You be the judge on the following. Guy who wrote the Marvin Gaye song is suing Sheeren. (This reminds me of the led zeppelin / spirit lawsuit over stairway (zep def guilty there). )

I'll post the two songs here. The first video is a guy some of you might know chiming in on it. Beato is extremo knowledgeable of musical stuff. Maybe

I like led Zeppelin a lot but I think they're been "borrowing " quite a lot of stuff from different artists without giving credit.

Beato is great.

@MaxStout
I have aways like Dave Edmunds version but think I like the Fats Domino version the best because of the sound of the guitar. Did a quick google and read the wikipedia for the song hoping to find out who was the guitarist for fat domino but instead found a comment that said a version by Canned Heat was what inspired Dave Edmunds to record the song.

edit- I believe the guitarist was Walter "Papoose" Nelson.

Last edited:
In Jamaican music, it is common to reuse not only entire songs, but also instrumental tracks with new lyrics and vocals or compositions in new arrangements and/or instrumentation.
Like a "Danger in your eyes" for example.
Don Evans at first (1966):

Then Ronald Merrils aka Judah Eskender Tafari (late 70's)::

Mighty Diamonds came with their harmonies and new arrangement and instrumentation (early 80's):

Gregory Isaacs in digital style (late 90's):

But then came 2015 and riddim was remixed with Judah vocals:

as well as bunch of other versions (in a mix)
And 2019 as well with title song and other versions

I love this song. It has great chord progressions that will satisfy, and it's incredibly angsty lyrics. The fact that the inimitable Jeff Buckley sang this song then disappeared forever under the Mississippi river adds to the mystique (his was the best version. But if you doubted the usefulness of Miley Cyrus's existence, check it.

Back