Generations of the Same Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one do you like best

• 1968 - Wallace

• 2001 - I Monster

• 2006 - Lupa

• None - All were Shat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I just heard the I Monster version of this song (on my chill Pandora station), and know there were other versions. Listening to them, they seem to pretty well represent 3 different generations of this song. Which one do you prefer?

Wallace Collection - 1968

I Monster - Daydream in Blue - 2001

Lupe Fiasco - Daydreamin' - 2006

Last edited:
1968 version. Hands down. It laid the groundwork for any follow up versions. The 2001 version is pretty groovy too, though.

Edit: Yes! I win the poll! 100% of the 1 voters agree with me! :D

The first one, easily. Then the second and finally the bottom one.

Although, I admit I'm listening to these at a fairly low volume at work. I doubt I'd change my order of preference, but I think they would all be a bit better a bit louder.

I actually think I like the 2nd one best. Coincidentally, I remember that one coming up on my Pandora within the last week or 2 as well.

The I Monster version is a really cool video, and I like the way they incorporated additional electronics into the song. I think the fact that they had a mold to work with is what makes the original stand out as being better. I Monster still made a creative rendition, no doubt, but the initial creation of the song allowed them to stand on the shoulders of their predecessors. I have to attribute some of their greatness to the original, thereby increasing the total awesomeness of the original.

The I Monster version is a really cool video, and I like the way they incorporated additional electronics into the song. I think the fact that they had a mold to work with is what makes the original stand out as being better. I Monster still made a creative rendition, no doubt, but the initial creation of the song allowed them to stand on the shoulders of their predecessors. I have to attribute some of their greatness to the original, thereby increasing the total awesomeness of the original.

I can respect that viewpoint. I never really appreciated sampling and such in music for a long time. Back then the extent of my knowledge of it was some jackass rapping over a borrowed beat. Then I started getting introduced to artists like DJ Shadow who can take bits and pieces of music from disparate sources and patch it all together into something totally different. I gained a lot more appreciation for sampling as actual artistry after that.

I like the I Monster version best, but it's not really a cover of the Wallace Collection song (which is the original). The I Monster version is an almost direct rip of the Gunter Kallman Choir version of the song. I didn't include it in the list above since it is so much like the I Monster version. Search youtube for Gunter Choir Daydream and you see it right away.

Lots of great songs have been re-done and have had been given justice IMO. One such band to do so that comes to mind for me is Pearl Jam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted failed attempt to get a Facebook video of Camille Bertault's vocalaise literally covering Wayne Shorter's "Yes or No."

I Monster is awesome. Shame they havent come out with anything new lately

I think its cool when you find a sample of some old record that is used in different songs

Portishead's Glory Box and Tricky's Hell Around the corner and now some god awful pop song on the radio all used the same jazz sample. The one on the radio was easily the worst use of it

Same thing with Metaform's Crush, that guitar lick and the line the woman sings pops up everywhere. I've got at least 2 other songs on my mp3 that use it

The Spirit song Taurus is 4 years before the Led Zep released Stairway.

I dunno, what do you guys think? Spirit sued Zep and lost. I don't care at ALL about the lawsuit (though, apparent Stairway earned about a half a trillion dollars, seriously).

I think it's very close to the same song, but maybe that's just a riff that all guitar players do. No idea.

Last edited:
Yea it is very similar. I can see the argument that this was a natural chord progression of the time and that it was fairly common. Just like we have so many songs with C, Am, F, G chords in the 70's. They just built on it and made a mega hit. Jury is still out though on whether they heard their version and used it though..... Anyway what a mega hit it was. I can remember playing that album in like 6th grade and that song so many times. Whenever you went to a party in high school either "Stairway To Heaven" was playing, or "Free Bird", both were anthems for our generation it seems! Thanks for posting Andrew!

John

I can see the similarity. Enough for me personally to think there may be something to the case.

But, in the end, LZ created a LOT more song than just that simple, common chord progression at the start. It's not like the riff was repeated over and over, or it was the main chorus. I think in the end the court decided what was probably fair and easiest to deal with. It's a matter of subjection anyway.

Ana is undoubtedly easy to look at. I couldn't help but notice the resemblence in the tune to one of my fave Doors tunes. You be the judge. It it might be super common progressions in guitar, or common themes in spanish guitar. Regardless, I was listening to her and couldn't help but think of this song.

I dunno, what do you guys think? Spirit sued Zep and lost. I don't care at ALL about the lawsuit (though, apparent Stairway earned about a half a trillion dollars, seriously).

I think it's very close to the same song, but maybe that's just a riff that all guitar players do. No idea.

FYI the estate of the lead Spirit guy is again suing Zep bandmembers, same song.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/led-zeppelin-court-case

At 19 to 24 seconds, Spirit sounds like a piece of Jethro Tull, Locomotive Breath.

as far as the OP...first one was hippy, second two, started with a portishead sound....third was snotty....

Here is a classic song "Whiter Shade Of Pale" originally by Procol Harum

And an excellent if not better version by HSAS (Hager, Schon, Aranson, and Shrieve) Sammy's vocals and Neil Schon's guitar style really add to the original I think.

I think there are so many good covers out there but one of my favorites is The Boys Of summer by the Ataris. I looked forever but for the life of me I couldn’t find a link to the original Don Henley version but here is the link to the Ataris.

You be the judge on the following. Guy who wrote the Marvin Gaye song is suing Sheeren. (This reminds me of the led zeppelin / spirit lawsuit over stairway (zep def guilty there). )

I'll post the two songs here. The first video is a guy some of you might know chiming in on it. Beato is extremo knowledgeable of musical stuff. Maybe

Latest posts

Back