Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
I have about a TBS of gelatin left over from a Mr Beer kit. I just started my secondary today of a IPA clone. 5 gallons. Thought about putting the gelatin in. Would this be a bad idea?

From experience, there is some loss of aroma/flavor after fining with gelatin.

In addition to more clarity, you will gain some crispness from it, which I honestly prefer over the haze, but that is personal preference.

Gelatin is a great way to combat "chill haze" and imo i dont think it efffects flavour/aroma at all... Just make sure you use it properly. Room temp water sprinkle the gelatin in slowly and let it absorb the water for a few minutes then microwave it for a couple minutes to sanitize it.

cheers.

I have about a TBS of gelatin left over from a Mr Beer kit. I just started my secondary today of a IPA clone. 5 gallons. Thought about putting the gelatin in. Would this be a bad idea?
Off topic but skip the secondary almost always,does nothing and ups the chance of infection and oxidation..Just leave it in the primary the entire time and rack to bottle/keg around 2 weeks for an IPA

Oops should have read this first. I just poured it in. Been 24hrs and everything looks ok

So on my next batch, if I want to use gelatin how much is used in 5gallon batches?
And can I use like store brand? Is it like Knox or something like that?

I had never tried using gelatin until just the other day. I brewed 10 gallons of Kal's Electric IPA and it simply did not clear after dry hopping. I racked it to kegs, carbed it up, chilled it, and put it on tap thinking it might clear in a few days. No luck. Even with the Clear Beer Floating Dip Tube, the beer was completely hazy.

On Friday morning I did the following:
Added 1 packet of Knox gelatin to 1 1/4 cup cool water. Waited 10 minutes for the bloom. Then nuked for 15 seconds 6 times. Dumped this directly into my keg which was 38F and about 2/3 full. No noticible difference by Friday evening but by Saturday morning, the beer was crystal clear! Granted, the floating dip helped since it it only pulling from the very top of the beer and it may not be clear all the way to the bottom. But take a look at the difference!

IMG_9331.jpg

Back