Gelatin at bottling time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztkdt

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of threads about using gelatin on the forum. One question I could not find the answer to : Can the gelatin be added to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar and then immediately put into bottles? Anyone tried this and had success and/or problems?

I wouldn't.

1) It tends to pull yeast out of suspension and bottle carbing may become difficult.
2) You may end up with a small amount of beer jello at the bottom of each bottle.

Gelatin only works if the wort is cold. If you add it to the bottle as wonderbread just said, you'll get some nasty things hitting your lips.

wonderbread23 said:
I wouldn't.

1) It tends to pull yeast out of suspension and bottle carbing may become difficult.
2) You may end up with a small amount of beer jello at the bottom of each bottle.

1. I can't imagine it pulling any more yeast out of suspension in a bottle than it would in a fermenter. There will be plenty to naturally carb.

2. True. Mmmmm....beer jello.

I wouldn't do it either. I don't want any extra crap in the bottle that I have to try to clean out after I drink it.

Don't do it.

First off, ignore the bit about not having enough yeast to carb. There will still be plenty of yeast to carb your bottles.

Secondly, as noted, gelatin works best on beer that is already COLD. So if you do not have a way to get that whole bucket/carboy chilled down to 32° F, then don't bother with the gelatin. If you do, then read on.

Thirdly, after you've chilled the beer for a couple of days, add the gelatin solution (explained in other threads, but basically just add 1/2 tbsp gelatin to 200 mL cold tap water, leave it for 20 minutes, then heat it in the microwave to 150° F (but NO HIGHER) in 20-second bursts, then dump directly into the beer and (optional) stir gently). Wait 3 more days.

THEN rack the beer into your bottling bucket with the priming sugar solution, and bottle normally.

I usually chill down to 36f before adding gel.

I add a packet of Knox to 1 cup cold water....let it bloom for 20min then heat it up in a saucepan to 170f-don't go higher than this unless you want jello. Works great. I let it sit cold for 2+ days then bottle.

Back