Gelatin: Add at cold crash temps and keep it at that temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVerymore

Reaction score
Hi all. Today I am using gelatin for the first time and from all of the reading it seems that the consensus is to add it when it's very cold (34f). However, I was wondering should I keep my temp controlled freezer at that temperature (34f) or should i raise it up to a higher temperature when I add the gelatin? I guess I am having conflicting thoughts because I feel like the cold temperature might make the gelatin just drop real fast rather than affecting all the proteins? I didn't stir it up or anything as some people suggested just pouring it into the fermenter would be fine.

Thanks for the help! :ban:

I set the temp to 34*F, add the keg and let it get to 34*F, add the gelatin and leave the temp set at 34*F

The cold crash is meant to do one important thing. That is to bring the potential chill haze proteins visible. When the Geletin is added it attacks these proteins and pulls them out of solution. Dropping them to the bottom.

The Geletin will not just sink without working. You'll be fine.

And yes. Once you finish adding the Geletin you need to leave it at that temp for a couple days. But once you're ready to bottle or keg bring it back to serving temps.

Once the proteins are gone they are gone.

Latest posts

Back