Gateway Sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
As I get more into sours, I was curious to find out what beers got you into the wild side? My first sour experience was in Antwerp at the Kulminator where I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru Vintage on draft. The bar keeper also gave me a chunk of cheese to go along with the beer. Wow was that good!! Since then, I've had a number of different sours produced by McKenzie's Brew House and I've loved them all.

What are your first experiences with commercial sours?

My first sour was Russian River Consecration batch 1. Gave me heartburn but I loved it! I tend to prefer lambic style sours now and actualy just brewed my first pLambic this past weekend. I hope i did well, I will know in like 2 years.

Supplication, baby. That solidified my desire to brew them. But the thing is that all the homebrewed ones a few generous people gave me were the best. Isn't that always how it is?

As I get more into sours, I was curious to find out what beers got you into the wild side? My first sour experience was in Antwerp at the Kulminator where I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru Vintage on draft. The bar keeper also gave me a chunk of cheese to go along with the beer. Wow was that good!! Since then, I've had a number of different sours produced by McKenzie's Brew House and I've loved them all.

What are your first experiences with commercial sours?

The first ones I ever tried were probably Lindemann's Cuvee Rene and New Belgium La Folie. I couldn't stomach La Folie at the time, haven't revisited that one.

The first ones I really enjoyed were Jolly Pumpkin's Weizen Bam and Oro De Calabaza - JP is still one of my favorite breweries!

Cascade Kriek Ale for me. I was into it, but it definitely wasn't love at first site. That is one seriously sour cherry.

It intrigued me enough to seek out some of the more standard Flemish reds like Rodenbach and Duchesse, which are still two of my favorites.

All of Russian River's are great. Same thing with Jolly Pumpkin - my favorite of theirs is La Roja.

Russian River Consecration was my first and still my favorite. In all fairness, I haven't been able to get any Cantillon.

I like Jolly Pumpkin a lot though, with La Roja being my favorite but only when it's at least a year old. I did score two bottles of 2 year old Biere de Mars from JP for $9 a piece at the local grocer.

lindeman's cuvee and rodenbach... at the old copa too in philly. it was like drinking sour patch kids made of heroin. My taste buds never tired of it- though the lining of my stomach probably looks like swiss cheese...

The first sour I ever had was Hannsens Oude Gueuze at Thunder Over Louisville which is a huge airshow and fireworks show. Hannsens is my favorite sour producer.

A friends Sour Quad. Belgian Quad fermented out and then aged and soured on Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Unbelievable...

My first was yesterday at the Az strojg ale festival...Odell's Footlose...I'm hooked...

I had a Petrus Oud Bruin that i thought was awesome

I also had a Petrus Oud Bruin for my first, shortly followed by an Aged Pale. I found both to be simply delightful, especially the Pale. The same night I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru that I didn't care for too much at the time.

Trinity old growth, NB La Folie, JP Madrugada Obscura and finally Supplication all sealed the deal.

My first sour was Ommegang's Zuur. It was given to me by a friend who works at the brewery. Loved it, and found it to be quite refreshing. Perfect for drinking during dinner. The same friend has also scored me a ticket to the Belgium Comes to Cooperstown beer festival 2 years in a row. (My friend rocks!) There, I tried several other sour and brett beersand enjoyed them all. I intend to make my first sour/funky ale in the near future.

Latest posts

Back