Gas line maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paque

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi!

The last time I brewed was last December and it was the first time that I keeged and carbed beer with cO2. Since it's been almost two months, should I find a way to sanitize my gas line prior plugging a new batch on Co2?

Unless you had some beer backflow into the lines last time, the tubing itself should be fine. I have lines that have been in service for close to 3 years that have never been cleaned/sanitized. I would, however, pull off both disconnects, disassemble them completely, and give them a thorough cleaning.

I never cleaned my gas lines and never had an issue.Beer lines are another story they get cleaned after every keg

Precision: i keg my beer only to force carb...I don't like to rely on sugar for priming...this mean that between 2 batches, my gas line is disconnected...so I was wondering if any unwanted form of life could take place in the tubing and thus contsminate the beer

As long as there is CO2 in the lines, nothing is going to grow in there. If you turn the gas off between keggings then visually inspect the line for gunk, turn the gas on and use your finger to depress the plug in the DC to flush the line. Sanitize the fitting and you're good to go.

Back